How do you feel about joining tours with cyclists on road bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It's just that when I see a group of tourers they are all wearing expensive gear and roadbikes more than my monthly apartment so it made me think the Brompton might stick out both in looks and performance.

Your friends are fancy - when I'm touring, I don't wear expensive gear although bikes are admittedly expensive.

OP
OP
V

Vg12th

Regular
Your friends are fancy - when I'm touring, I don't wear expensive gear although bikes are admittedly expensive.
Oh no I was referring to random groups I see around when they pass by. My friends are relatively serious cyclists, they tour every other weekend, and have got nice gear too. To what price I don't know but I do know they are drooling for those expensive bikes.

How long are these tours ? I think it might be more about fitness than the bike. If you're new and others aren't then you'll be slower on any bike ?

Plenty of people have toured on Bromptons but usually together.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Oh no I was referring to random groups I see around when they pass by. My friends are relatively serious cyclists, they tour every other weekend, and have got nice gear too. To what price I don't know but I do know they are drooling for those expensive bikes.
There'll be a lot of people - including some roadies - who'll be envious of you being able to afford a Brompton.

Landsurfer

Veteran
2 years ago we met an Israeli couple, just over the bridge at Inverness ... doing LEJOG on Brompton’s ... and enjoying it ...
We where doing LEJOG, 14 days.
But ...
They where staying in hotels every evening ...good hotels.. “must have a good restaurant” ... started riding at 10.00hrs and finished at 1600hrs ... Their plan never saw them over-ride their day by more than 30mins. 32 day LEJOG.
“She turns into a bear if she rides too long" said the husband .. "too right “ she confirmed as she disembowelled a jock pie ...

Touring is just about enjoying your ride ... it’s not a TT.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's all relative. Touring is generally, in my opinion anyway is relaxing and enjoyable, not a hell for leather dash from one place to another.
what they said
if your touring its not a race , the other riders should adjust their speed to suit ,Having said that talk to the other riders 1st to ensure they are happy with it

ExBrit

Über Member
New to biking in general and waiting to purchase a brompton, I want a folding bike primarily for city commute but I also want to use it for some minor touring (city to city).
Have you joined other cyclists on their road bikes for tours and did you feel like you were slowing down the group? Is it bad form not bringing a road bike? I know it's possible to tour and to bikepack with Bromptons, but just worried how it would be if I joined friends in some tours. Especially as I plan on taking the - 12% gearing. Am I expecting too much from the B?
I think Bromptons are about 5-10% less efficient than road bikes. If you are reasonably fit you will not be the slowest. If you are the slowest, well someone has to be :-) Go for it!

Legomutton

If it's the gearing you are concerned with, I believe the gearing of Bromptons varies a bit by age but the gear table I did when I bought my 2012 6 speed suggests the top gear on yours at -12% will be around 88" (7.0 metres rollout in metric). I make that about 16 mph for a cadence of 60, and pro rata obviously.

In practice I think you won't know unless you try it, but if your friends able to give you an idea of their cruising speed, does the resulting required cadence sound feasible to you?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's not the gearing, it's the drag of the small wheels. The handlebars aren't ideal for honking up big hills, either. But you can keep up - after 10 miles you forget you're riding something different.

mitchibob

Über Member
I've toured couple of times with a 14L backloader and Ortleib mini on the front (not camping or anything)... definitely a little more aero than having a T-bag or new Borough bag on the front, which, riding to Wales with inevitable headwind the entire way, did improve things slightly. Switching to S-like bars has made bike a little quicker too.

But as others have said, when it comes to on the road performance, Brompton isn't that much slower than my road bike in my experience. 5-10% is probably a good call. On the 6-speed, with 44T chainring, I find it's a bit slower, mostly due to not being in the most efficient gears on the flatter bits most of the time. But then, very few hills are ever a problem with that. I've ridden to London to Cardiff a couple of times in a couple of days, with 50T and 54T, both of which were fine, but I had a 44T in the bag for when I got there!

First time I took the 14L backloader on my road-bike for a road tour, though, within 5 miles felt like something was applying a brake, and after quick inspection, I was heading back home as rear wheel and worn through it completely. That'd NEVER happen on the Brompton! But actually, similar rides on road bike haven't been that much quicker. I'm not even convinced more comfortable. Maybe nicer having more choice of gears, but actually, way less convenient in terms of just getting into a hotel room, pub, Aunt's porch, luggage rack on train, etc.

OP
OP
V

Vg12th

Regular
I've toured couple of times with a 14L backloader and Ortleib mini on the front (not camping or anything)... definitely a little more aero than having a T-bag or new Borough bag on the front, which, riding to Wales with inevitable headwind the entire way, did improve things slightly. Switching to S-like bars has made bike a little quicker too.

But as others have said, when it comes to on the road performance, Brompton isn't that much slower than my road bike in my experience. 5-10% is probably a good call. On the 6-speed, with 44T chainring, I find it's a bit slower, mostly due to not being in the most efficient gears on the flatter bits most of the time. But then, very few hills are ever a problem with that. I've ridden to London to Cardiff a couple of times in a couple of days, with 50T and 54T, both of which were fine, but I had a 44T in the bag for when I got there!

First time I took the 14L backloader on my road-bike for a road tour, though, within 5 miles felt like something was applying a brake, and after quick inspection, I was heading back home as rear wheel and worn through it completely. That'd NEVER happen on the Brompton! But actually, similar rides on road bike haven't been that much quicker. I'm not even convinced more comfortable. Maybe nicer having more choice of gears, but actually, way less convenient in terms of just getting into a hotel room, pub, Aunt's porch, luggage rack on train, etc.
I didn't even think about the front luggage actually. Yeah the bigger bags would definitely be less aero but I heard something about heavy front bags making the ride "better" or some sort?

Kell

Veteran
Horses for courses.

I don't particularly like the bags as I can't see my front wheel.

I'm sure I'd get used to it, but on the times I have used it, I found it really odd not being able to place the wheel exactly.

For the most part, it's fine, but in London, I had to negotiate several roads with big cobbles and it was a lot better when you could place your wheel on top of a line of cobbles rather than ending up getting the tyre wedged between them.

I also had a few sections where I needed to hop up or down a kerbstone and that's not easy with a bag on. (Having said that, they were places where I should have got off and pushed. :blush:)

Plus, as said above, it felt like sailing into the wind sometimes.

Top Bottom