How do you feel about your commute ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
My shortest commute in is a pinch under two miles. It's quicker and cheaper than the car and there are no parking issues in the overcrowded company carpark, it's quicker and more fun than walking and I cycle this mammoth distance in my work clothes.

I love it so much that I have been known to extend the homeward commute to forty miles (time willing).

Thomson

Started new job about 11months ago. Cycling in about 8 months now. All weather 5 days a week. Got rid off one car. She has one. It’s only under 3 miles and takes 15 mins. Used to drive 20 miles to work for two years and before that it was 43 miles for years. So my commute it easyly worth it’s weight in gold now. No car to tax mot insure and run. Just a 200pound bike. That’s had two punchures. So my cycling commute is a dream for me. :-)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No.
Absolutely love my cycle commute. Highlight of my working day. I have been doing the same commute now for 13 years and still enjoy it. Good and bad weather.
Every now and then I have to get public transport and that is a good reminder how great cycling to and from work is.
yup
makes going to work worth it but still its not a nice a a non commute.

avsd

Guru
I find my commute a great way to start and finish the day. I am lucky that most of my journey is along a towpath and I extend the route most days to get a 20 mile round trip. Winter frost and snow is the only time I don't cycle. I don't like the risk/reward balance.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
No. It takes more motivation to cycle when there is a car on the drive but once I'm off I enjoy the commute probably more than a leisure ride. Simply because I like the feeling of killing 2 birds with one stone ie. you get exercise in the time you would normally spend driving so there is no need to go to the gym after work.

No, love my commute ride ( commuted school/work for 42 years) as much as non-commute.

si_c

Guru
I wouldn't change my commute ride, but then it's not the same kind of ride as a non-commute, despite me actually using similar roads for a good part of the start/finish of a leisure ride. Much more intense and I'm more interested in keeping the pace and my HR high as a general rule. Still boatloads of fun though.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Sometimes it is harder to find the time, or motivation to go out for a ride for it's own sake.
I really enjoy my commuting. There's a quicker utility route of 4 miles but I try to do the 10 mile route most days, or the 6 if I am pushed for time. Sometimes it goes up to 20 miles in. Usually 6 miles home which provides a nice gap between work and home. I would miss it very much if I had to give it up.

My riding used to be only leisure rides and when I got into commuting, although it was fun, I knew some time in the future it would become less enjoyable (not unenjoyable, but just less). Now the problem is I've become so accustomed to the commute that I just dont feel like going out on leisure rides just for the heck of it and only go out with the kids; the problem with is due to the nature of the road network, that is also a bit boring because we have to keep stopping to cross the roads (we ride on the sidewalk).

G3CWI

Veteran
Lots of positive responses. I wonder how the same question would fare on a motoring forum? I enjoy my cycle commute. It's 1.7 miles direct but I seldom actually cycle that route.

Slick

Guru
My commute is very mixed as I live in the country but only 12 miles from an extremely busy international airport and 15 miles from work.

Mornings are magic, dark or light doesn't really worry me either way as at 6am it's just me and the local wildlife for the first 6 miles.

From there it does kinda start to go downhill as I venture through a few busy towns with busy roundabouts and a short stretch of dodgy dual carriageway, before tackling the last couple of miles that I've never liked, not entirely sure why although it does feel like it's always in a headwind no matter which way you are going and a poor soul on a bike was killed there a couple of months ago.

Evenings are a different kettle of fish altogether though. It turns into a battle for position almost immediately and you need to keep your wits about you almost all the way home with one of the worst bits going past Dykebar hospital when all the cars I've passed all the way back from Renfrew, finally start to pass me and it can sometimes feel like one long continual punishment pass.

I do enjoy my commute but I would change the traffic at times.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My biggest issue is that I have to use a bike with heavy, slow tyres if I want to go the quiet way, because the kids smash beer bottles on the cyclepaths. If I want to use a nice light bike, it's the road or nothing.

Top Bottom