how do you film your rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lip03

Über Member
i want to start a vlog and wondering about cameras. I don't have the funds to contemplate a gopro hd hero or any other camera snobs favourite for that matter but what I do have is a phone capable of recording 1080p hd video so was just wondering if anyone else uses there smartphone to film rides??? commuting or vloging? and best way of mounting phones for riding and keeping it waterproof!!! cheers guys!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Won't work.

Most of the mounts secure the fone to the stem or bars with the screen toward the rider.
A bar mount may work if tilted/rotated so the camera faces the road, you'd have to check first and have very good battery life.

sabian92

Über Member
i want to start a vlog and wondering about cameras. I don't have the funds to contemplate a gopro hd hero or any other camera snobs favourite for that matter but what I do have is a phone capable of recording 1080p hd video so was just wondering if anyone else uses there smartphone to film rides??? commuting or vloging? and best way of mounting phones for riding and keeping it waterproof!!! cheers guys!

Having an expensive camera doesn't make you a snob. Buying a camera BECAUSE it's expensive makes you a snob.

trampyjoe

I've been experimenting with a home made mount for my camcorder ...
standalone

Still needs tweaking and by the time I've got it right I'll have the cash together for a contour roam

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
I've been experimenting with a home made mount for my camcorder ...
standalone

Still needs tweaking and by the time I've got it right I'll have the cash together for a contour roam
that looks like my kind of engineering!!

sabian92

Über Member
agreed! just ment that i'm poor :sad: well i'm not i'm tight :blush:

I don't understand that - you only live once, you can't spend it when you're dead - get spending it :biggrin: Within reason, of course. No coke and hookers, obviously... :laugh: /slightly inappropriate

go on yt there is a lot of people who will watch someones ride to work

It is a bit boring though. Once might be OK but repeatedly is a bit monotonous. I never upload my commute, only the bad drivers. An hours commute gets cut into maybe 3 minutes of video, tops. That and uploading an entire commute for me is around 4GB of video (I use a ROAM on 1080P HD which is 1GB of video every 15 minutes) so If I commuted 4 days a week (college student) that's 16GB a week or 64GB a month. My ISP would get quite irritated quite quickly :biggrin:

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
I don't understand that - you only live once, you can't spend it when you're dead - get spending it :biggrin: Within reason, of course. No coke and hookers, obviously... :laugh: /slightly inappropriate

It is a bit boring though. Once might be OK but repeatedly is a bit monotonous. I never upload my commute, only the bad drivers. An hours commute gets cut into maybe 3 minutes of video, tops. That and uploading an entire commute for me is around 4GB of video (I use a ROAM on 1080P HD which is 1GB of video every 15 minutes) so If I commuted 4 days a week (college student) that's 16GB a week or 64GB a month. My ISP would get quite irritated quite quickly :biggrin:
i cant spend it but my kids can! lol have a young familly to support so cant justify spending money so i can make a video!
and yeah they are boring but i aim to make a vlog not just upload vids of close passes and rljers!

sabian92

Über Member
i cant spend it but my kids can! lol have a young familly to support so cant justify spending money so i can make a video!
and yeah they are boring but i aim to make a vlog not just upload vids of close passes and rljers!

Ah, I understand.

Be wary of making a blog. The ROAM has no external mic input (watch some of my youtube videos and you'll hear the whistling in them) so it probably won't pick up your voice very clearly.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
thats very negative! we wont have any of that thanks :stop:

It isn't the best way,fraught with all sorts of problems,it's hard enough to get a camera that is actually more suited to the job to work well.

Even the camera I have been using quite well for over a month or two flew off the bike today,but I believe it's ok due to the way it's built,it could take the impact.

Top Bottom