How do you find a half decent wine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I guage there are a few wine drinkers here, based on the quality of chat in the evenings.

I don't drink much these days, and when I do, it is rarely wine. Perhaps a whiskey to mark a moment. I have had so many disappointing glasses of wine, I have pretty well given up on the drink. However, I recently found I quite enjoy ALDI's Grande Alberone Zinfandel (~£8 a bottle); it's fairly drinkable.

Does that mean I should try other Zinfandels? Italian wines? Are these helpful clues?

Are there any recommendation systems that could help me try something else?

Can you be my recommendation system?

simonali

Guru
I think the thing with wine is to know what you like and the only way to find that out is to experiment. Once you know your preferred flavour profile then it's easy to read labels and gauge whether you're going to like it.

I'm quite lucky in that the missus and I both prefer white and like the same sorts of wines, so I now find it easy to pick out something new and pretty much guarantee that one or both of us will be more than happy to drink it.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Wine is like designer clothing. You are either a slave to fashion, or you like what you know. I would rather sit and drink local wine in a farm in northern Italy than drink French wine from Waitrose.

Seevio

Guru
I tend to find that most wine is pretty palatable after the first pint or so.

I guage there are a few wine drinkers here, based on the quality of chat in the evenings.

I don't drink much these days, and when I do, it is rarely wine. Perhaps a whiskey to mark a moment. I have had so many disappointing glasses of wine, I have pretty well given up on the drink. However, I recently found I quite enjoy ALDI's Grande Alberone Zinfandel (~£8 a bottle); it's fairly drinkable.

Does that mean I should try other Zinfandels? Italian wines? Are these helpful clues?

Are there any recommendation systems that could help me try something else?

Can you be my recommendation system?
On a serious note, Californian Zinfandel is worth a try in the same price range, or Primativo or Nero D'avalo
from southern italy

Bit of a lottery I always think. I would say the third off wines at M&S at the mo is a good starting point ... had a few v nice Malbecs and Carignans around a tenner. Italian yes but if you can find a Sardinian Vermentino or Cannonau give it a go. I don't like Zinfandel unless it's 3am mixed with cider so other posters may have more useful recommendations. Cheers!

Top Bottom