How do you find a half decent wine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I guage there are a few wine drinkers here, based on the quality of chat in the evenings.

I don't drink much these days, and when I do, it is rarely wine. Perhaps a whiskey to mark a moment. I have had so many disappointing glasses of wine, I have pretty well given up on the drink. However, I recently found I quite enjoy ALDI's Grande Alberone Zinfandel (~£8 a bottle); it's fairly drinkable.

Does that mean I should try other Zinfandels? Italian wines? Are these helpful clues?

Are there any recommendation systems that could help me try something else?

Can you be my recommendation system?

That's an interesting one... Primitivo is one of the main indiginous grapes of Puglia, the heel are of Italy. While Zinfandel is a major grape in California. But it was recognised some years ago that Zin and Primitivo are actually genetically identical. Some producers in Puglia are now trying to aim at international markets by labelling as Zinfandel. The wine you like is one of those.

So, you clearly like bold easy drinking wines not shy in alcohol levels (14%).

Californian Zinfandel is an obvious candidate.

Others grapes from the same family of wines from Southern Italy are
Negroamara, also from Puglia
Nero d'Avola, from Sicily
(Note these are the grape variety not the name of the wine)

Italy has more variation in wine styles than anywhere else, the hot climate southern wines are a style all of their own, one that I like very much and Negroamaro is up there as one of my favourites.

Majestic normally have a good selection across the types I mention.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Try them all, hic

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Go to Lidl or Aldi & buy French reds - can't go wrong. Both have really very nice Cotes du Rhones at the moment - Lidl's is £3.99, which is a stonewall bargain. Avoid new world Riojas and Shirazes and the like unless you want to get drunk quickly and wake up with a pounding hangover.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have recently started to drink Argentinian Malbec. Waitrose always have some discounted to around £8-£9 from £12-£13. I do enjoy Italian and Spanish reds also. Primativo and Rioja in particular.

Adam4868

Guru
Not that I'm any expert on wines,were just finishing of the last of the red brought back from france which was all good as usual.Mostly cote du Rhone.
I tried the organic red from Aldi a few times thinks it's called Torro loco or something like that.Thought it was good for a fiver a bottle.

Top Bottom