How do you find healthy food?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm going to have a go at this tonight with a bit of added merguez meatballs.
...and here's another culinary triumph with thanks to 3BM ( though the merguez was a touch of genius:whistle:)

aubergine1.jpg

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Look, I know the New York cheesecake my mum baked on Sunday probably has a zillion calories a slice, and enough lactose to make the bovine population of Jersey produce enough methane to heat St Helier for a century. I just don't care...

Yorksman

Look, I know the New York cheesecake my mum baked on Sunday

Someone who actually bakes cheesecakes these days! Glad to see they are still around. Cheesecakes have gone the same way as making egg custard. Few people set custard in the oven thesedays and simply mix powder on a hob.

Strictly speaking, when you make a cheesecake in the oven, you are doing something more akin to setting a custard than baking a dough. I often marble in a zesty lemon thick sauce and then drizzle some on top or add whole sour cherries.

kaesekuchen_mit_kirschen.jpg

It's about 20 miles cycling per slice ^_^

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Someone who actually bakes cheesecakes these days! Glad to see they are still around. Cheesecakes have gone the same way as making egg custard. Few people set custard in the oven thesedays and simply mix powder on a hob.

Strictly speaking, when you make a cheesecake in the oven, you are doing something more akin to setting a custard than baking a dough. I often marble in a zesty lemon thick sauce and then drizzle some on top or add whole sour cherries.

She's a big pudding maker, but it's the first time she's tried baked cheesecake. Won't be the last, though...

err - some of those slices see a touch uneven :laugh:

I used to bake my own cheesecake, but sadly am now allergic (as in anaphylactic shock) so can't have the authentic version anymore, but do do a really nice dairy free alternative (made with cashew nuts, proper chocolate and also laden with calories.... have not estimated how many though - don't wish to scare myself out of making anymore!)

U

User169

@rich p @threebikesmcginty

Sad aubergine!

image.jpg

Great thread - covered it well.

I would just add ;
Don't trust or even listen to any advertising on health claims, much of it is based on a comparison with something even worse for you.
Don't accept old wives tales and assumptions. A decent pizza can be quite a healthy option as can bread and lots of things people seem to cut out in a bit to be healthy.
Probably not a good idea to shop in Greggs.
It is a tricky job finding healthy food but we have built up a regular list of things and slowly add to it over time.

Be organised and you can fit healthy food to your lifestyle. I bought 12 good oven and freezer proof containers and make up a batch (usually 12 meals) of something (coq eau vin, spag bol, chilli con carne etc) and we then keep these instead of a ready meal for busy weekday evenings. Only need to do this once a month to have a good stock in for a couple of evening meals each week.

Kids don't need sweets every day and each meal does not need to end in a sweet or cake.
Often people think of healthy as being about LESS. But if you tuck into MORE healthy food at each meal in the main course you then push the snacks and desserts into the margins of your diet and not in the main focus of your diet.

We are absolutely bombarded with temptation like never before. They even now have sweets at the checkout in Homebase and Wikes. It is good to get annoyed with this and anti the bombardment (be as annoyed as if it were a cigarette advert on kids tv) and you then react against it rather than being tempted by it.

Top Bottom