How do you find healthy food?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't you start.

What you want is cheese and aubergine.
Pah, my stomach is churning just reading the article, still it does confirm that jamie Oliver doesn't know what he's talking about, which I also instinctively knew.

I was ferrying last night, which left me having to forage for my tea in Sainsbury's. I managed to track down and catch a butternut squash salad, which was very nice. So I thought, I'll have a go at my own version of that and started reading the list of ingredients. I'm still reading it now. Based on the list, I should turn orange tomorrow.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've backed right off fruit juice these days because of the massively high sugar content. Shame because I love fresh fruit juice.
You could always do like Jay Kordich, "The Juiceman" and make your own. @Crackle, looks like he's turned orange as well.
CONSUMER ALERT;Juice makes your eyebrows grow.
o-JAY-KORDICH-JUICEMAN-facebook.jpg

All the cartons of fruit juice I've seen in Brazil have 'Coca-Cola Company' written on the side. They are all very sweet, or going for the light version taste mostly of artificial sweetener. Lingers in the mouth too - bleurgh.

Yorksman

Morrisons do a large low fat plain yoghurt with low carb content and it's one of their cheapest. I oftn buy this and blend with frozen fruits that and milk substitute that I get from Lidl. Of course, the yoghurt and fruit can also just be stirred.

Honey makes a good natural sweetener and cherries are a good fruit to eat fresh.

A spicy fish stew is one of my favourite meals though:

spicy-haddock-stew.jpg

paul04

Über Member
A good tip I was told, is look at the ingredients and the "per100g" on the pack
No more than 15g of sugar, and less than 5% saturated fat.

The trouble is manufactuers wrap all the ingredients up in fancy sounding names to the point where you haven't got a clue what they are. Then there are all the E numbers, and flavourings, and colourings. Its a mine field. And of course they do it on purpose because they don't want you to know exactly what they are putting in theyre product. Very confusing. That's why making your own may be the only option

In fact, a lot of the way things are labelled are down to EU requirements, in order to have a consistent way of displaying information.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Flying Dodo said:
In fact, a lot of the way things are labelled are down to EU requirements, in order to have a consistent way of displaying information.
I agree, but consistent doesn't mean easy to read or understand.

Yorksman

Food labelling is far from comprehensive. There are certain ingredients which food manufacturers have to list, known allergens for example and the Quantitative Ingredients Declaration has to provide information about the percentage of certain ingredients used, but rarely is it adequate.

For example, Waitrose White & Wholegrain bread:
Wholemeal wheat flour (6%),Wheat flour (56%), lists the essential ingredients. But, what of the other 38% of stuff?

These include, water, yeast, wheat fibre, wheat gluten, fermented wheat flour, spirit vinegar, rapeseed oil and palm oil, salt, flour treatment agent ascorbic acid. They don't have to list the amounts because they are not essential ingredients for bread, even though there is more of it in the bread than the wholegrain flour used in the title.

E Numbers are simply food additives that have passed food safety standards, for example the flour treatment agent ascorbic acid is E300. Personally, I'd prefer bread to be made from flour, yeast and water but since the introduction of the No Time Process, or Chorleywood Process where bread production was industrialised, I'd like to know what british bakers use to give the supermarket loaves "good loaf volume, improved crumb structure, softness and colour” and I'd like to know how much is used. Don't blame the label for telling you that it's full of crap. Blame the bakers for putting the crap in it.

http://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/

Last edited:
Top Bottom