How do you find healthy food?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
I have always shopped by the principle of 'If they have to spend money convincing you it's healthy, it probably isn't.'
I'm not faddy about eating but normally try to avoid anything that has to be packaged, processed or promoted. Yoghurt is just one of those things I don't make but buy as plain as I can and add fruit to taste. My kids love the Raspberries from the garden with some plain yoghurt as their desert at the moment.

I've been using an app called 'myfitnesspal' to track what I eat and see why I'm not losing weight as regularly as I expected. Not surprisingly, what I thought I ate was actually way off! You can track exercise, food and drink intake.... + [the useful bit] you can search for specific manufacturer's products and someone, somewhere will have keyed in the nutritional data for the product. It's incredible how thorough people are... it then shows you a breakdown of saturated and mono and poly unsaturated fat and Trans fats , dietary fibre,sugar, other carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, A + C, calcium, iron, salt and potassium.

Try it [it's a free download on an iPhone].
double check the figures on myfitnesspal... I looked at using it last year and did for a while (needed to track my potassium levels) and gave up on it because I got fed up of constantly having to double check the figures - calories people can cope with... but when manufacturers quote salt verses sodium or even sodium in grams rather than milligrams, the number of people who could not convert the 2 was appalling (google will do it for you so there is no excuse). also a lot of people don't fill in much of the additional information so in the end I gave up with it.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
When it comes to yoghurt you cant go far wrong with the total greek yoghurt..a touch of agave nector for sweetness and your sorted...at least I am

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't think there's any consensus as to what "healthy" might mean insofar as it relates to food.

Well, it's tricky. No food at all isn't healthy. Some food is healthy. Too much of any one sort of food is unhealthy...

I reckon if one is generally cooking from scratch etc, and making sure that kids don't just eat yoghurt, then even a yoghurt with sugar in isn't going to be too bad a thing.

But I agree, the simplest thing would be plain with fruit chopped into it. We're enjoying yoghurt with our homegrown raspberries, with the added fun of a digestive biscuit broken into little chunks and added for some crunch.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yes, I agree, although I'll be gutted if they discover one day that crisps and cheese are actually really healthy!

If I said "oily fish and fruit juice", you'd probably think = good stuff.

Unless you have a lot of them, in which case they can trigger gout, as NT found out a couple of years ago. Most people think gout is caused by too much red meat and port, but there are quite a few 'healthy' foods which can trigger it.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Local Government is promoting the idea of putting an edible forest near me (3 mi away) . They are planning on putting nut and fruit trees in it, and educating children about eating such things as come from the forest. This fellow will be volunteering.
errolflynnasrobinhood.jpg

Doseone

Guru
If I said "oily fish and fruit juice", you'd probably think = good stuff.

Unless you have a lot of them, in which case they can trigger gout, as NT found out a couple of years ago. Most people think gout is caused by too much red meat and port, but there are quite a few 'healthy' foods which can trigger it.
I've backed right off fruit juice these days because of the massively high sugar content. Shame because I love fresh fruit juice.

Top Bottom