How do you find healthy food?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
you stick to making it at home and taking it out with you.... it's what a freezer is for. I cook in batches things like homemade scones (I need dairy free), black bean brownies, homemade flapjacks (dairy free), and the likes... then just take them out of the freezer as and when needed.

If you think it is hard getting healthy food in a supermarket - try doing it and being allergic to dairy!

Doseone

Guru
As @welsh dragon says it's a minefield and involves spending ages trying to read loads of tiny writing on packaging. More often than not stuff that screams "healthy" at you because of the marketing is anything but. Low fat can mean that it's packed with sugar, low sugar can mean loads of fat and it really is very difficult to get to the bottom of what you are actually eating. I think one of the issues is that "healthy" has become synonymous with "low calorie" which often isn't the case.

As @welsh dragon says it's a minefield and involves spending ages trying to read loads of tiny writing on packaging. More often than not stuff that screams "healthy" at you because of the marketing is anything but. Low fat can mean that it's packed with sugar, low sugar can mean loads of fat and it really is very difficult to get to the bottom of what you are actually eating. I think one of the issues is that "healthy" has become synonymous with "low calorie" which often isn't the case.
nowt wrong with some fat...

(but sugar comes in handy first thing in the morning... prior/during to a bike ride :whistle:)

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Any fruit variety is basically plain with a splodge of jam so the sugar is always high. I make peace with a big tub of organic yog and add what we like from local fruit we've foraged.

We're lucky to have three organic farms locally.

Ganymede

Veteran
Any fruit variety is basically plain with a splodge of jam so the sugar is always high. I make peace with a big tub of organic yog and add what we like from local fruit we've foraged.

We're lucky to have three organic farms locally.
I have been known to palm the kids off with plain yog mixed with strawberry jam. They ate it.

Ganymede

Veteran
Me too, I mixed in nutella and slices of banana for little man. Little man, ha, he's 13! But he still loves a bit of 'naana and chocy pudding!'
And who does not?! Well, apart from the banana haters, obv. I get that.

My freezer is full of curries, stews, sauces etc that I've made - never thought flapjacks would freeze well but I shall give it a whirl/
Mine do.. along with all of the other bits and pieces in there. in fact it is the only way they actually last more than a day in this household. parkin freezes well as well after the 7 days of letting it mature (which is a nightmare!)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You have two choices:

Do extensive research on pre packaged stuff. After a while you'll have a suitable list of 'approved' products.

or

Make your own from fresh ingredients - normally tastier too!
I was going to say the same thing.

Fruit yoghurt - buy natural yoghurt and chop fruit into it! (I like strawberries and/or banana in mine.) It takes only a few seconds, so lack of time is no excuse.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Avoid stuff with preservatives. I used to eat yoghurt but got put off it after reading one too many ingredients labels :angry:. I also used to buy prepackaged juice and again got turned off by their labels, but invested in a good juicer, and am happily drinking freshly-squeezed apple, orange, etc. juice regularly.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I've been using an app called 'myfitnesspal' to track what I eat and see why I'm not losing weight as regularly as I expected. Not surprisingly, what I thought I ate was actually way off! You can track exercise, food and drink intake.... + [the useful bit] you can search for specific manufacturer's products and someone, somewhere will have keyed in the nutritional data for the product. It's incredible how thorough people are... it then shows you a breakdown of saturated and mono and poly unsaturated fat and Trans fats , dietary fibre,sugar, other carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, A + C, calcium, iron, salt and potassium.

Try it [it's a free download on an iPhone].

Top Bottom