How do you get on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I`ve just realised tonight that I always swing my right leg over the frame. I only know this as I had the bike on the turbo and went to swing my left leg over the frame and could`nt do it. I thought it was just a one off and that I wasn`t standing close enough but I tried two or three times, could`nt do it and it felt completely alien trying to do it!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Same as you it feels weird to swing left leg over.

classic33

Leg End Member
Normally it's the right leg over the frame. Due in part to the moving traffic being on the right. But, now and then it's swinging either leg over the handlebars.

screenman

Legendary Member
I`ve just realised tonight that I always swing my right leg over the frame. I only know this as I had the bike on the turbo and went to swing my left leg over the frame and could`nt do it. I thought it was just a one off and that I wasn`t standing close enough but I tried two or three times, could`nt do it and it felt completely alien trying to do it!

I do three flip flacks and a triple somersault hopefully landing on something soft, followed by a throw of the right leg over the bars. Or is it the left, no I am sure it is the right, I think. In honesty not a clue.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Right leg over the saddle. Although that method is starting to look like it's gonna get difficult in time.
I used to be able to swing my leg over the carradice classic saddlebag rack but I've had to fit the bagman now as my leg won't stretch that much anymore.
Drago's method looks to be a viable option in the not too distant future.

Mrs M

Guru
Left leg over and away :bicycle:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Generally we are creatures of habit and also most have a dominant method to do most tasks. I use the right leg over the saddle most but occasionally the left goes over. Also in the gcn vid clip above I do use the single leg rollaway and have no preference for which side I mount, although I dont do any of that scooting stuff, just get the pedal up high and if your in a reasonable gear you have the momentum just by standing on the pedal to get 'on yer bike'.

Drago

Legendary Member
On a serious note for a change, I'm right leg first. This keeps the bike leaning away from traffic, so if I fall it's liable to be away from danger.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
trying to find a clip of a cowboy leaping over a fence or through a window and landing right on the saddle of his horse from behind like in some of the great old westerns that used to be on TV during the weekend....

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
On a serious note for a change, I'm right leg first. This keeps the bike leaning away from traffic, so if I fall it's liable to be away from danger.
I, on the other hand, would look for danger first, and then make sure it's ok to get on. And on some of the roads around here, if I got on right leg first the bike would be almost horizontal due to the camber.

We teach the kids we work with to check the road first, then get on on the side they are used to using.

Top Bottom