How do you get your podcasts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
hi all,

I'm looking for better podcast listening software.
I started out with Podcast Addict which I quite liked but couldn't get it to play podcasts in chronological order going forward from the position I was at (I just want to listen to episode 115 after I finish 114 and not the other way round!.

Howeve a number of my favourite podcasts moved to a new platform which Podcast Addict cannot seem to connect to Acast.

I switched to PodBeam but it constantly forgets what I was last listening to and won't remember which episodes have been played when used through Android CarPlay.

So - any suggestions as to better podcasting software that works with ACast and Android CarPlay?

I'm a vanilla Apple Podcasts user I'm afraid. It's terrible, but everything else I've ever tried is equally annoying for whatever different reason, so 'better the devil you know'. Only exception is where I use BBC sounds as it seems to get BBC podcasts (The Lazarus Heist, most recently) a week earlier than the other platforms, and it does queue chronologically.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
It's a great service & shows as an app in Android Auto.
It does but it's absolute dog shoot to use. It's pathetically poor at highlighting when new episodes have come in, and will just replay the current episode as if it is new. It displays no dates whatsoever unless you use the phone app (and even then it isn't great).

That said, I do use it for quite a bit of Radio Comedy - News Quiz, Just a Minute, Now Show, Skewer, Life on the Blink, Ability, etc, mostly because they killed off their podcast feed.

Last edited:

newts

Veteran
It does but it's absolute dog shoot to use. It's pathetically poor at highlighting when new episodes have come in, and will just replay the current episode as if it is new. It displays no dates whatsoever unless you use the phone app (and even then it isn't great).

That said, I do use it for quite a bit of Radio Comedy - News Quiz, Just a Minute, Now Show, Skewer, Life on the Blink, Ability, etc, mostly because they killed off their podcast feed.

Maybe it's a setting issue in the BBC Sounds app, the next available podcast starts automatically with me. It also shows the podcast date on the vehicle screen. Spotify has alot of BBC stuff, not sure how that app notifies though.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
If you add the podcasts you want to listen to to your Podcast Addict playlist you
can then go to the hamburger, click on playlist and move the podcasts up and down in whatever order you want. Unlike BBC Sounds
Just found Google Podcasts - am trying it out :-)

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
If you add the podcasts you want to listen to to your Podcast Addict playlist you
can then go to the hamburger, click on playlist and move the podcasts up and down in whatever order you want. Unlike BBC Sounds

Podcast Addict won't connect to ACast as far as I know - that's why I had to stop using it.
I was also hoping for something logical. I listen to Richard Herring's Leicester Square podcast. I'm currently on around episode 220 out of 430. I just want that after I finish episode 220 it then goes on to 221 (the next published episode) but that seems to logical for the software to cope with. A lot of software is geared towards presenting the latest podcast rather than presenting a chronology.

UphillSlowly

Podcast Addict won't connect to ACast as far as I know - that's why I had to stop using it.
I was also hoping for something logical. I listen to Richard Herring's Leicester Square podcast. I'm currently on around episode 220 out of 430. I just want that after I finish episode 220 it then goes on to 221 (the next published episode) but that seems to logical for the software to cope with. A lot of software is geared towards presenting the latest podcast rather than presenting a chronology.

I see. Irritating. Is the Richard Herring podcast any good? Seen some interviews he's done on YouTube

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I see. Irritating. Is the Richard Herring podcast any good? Seen some interviews he's done on YouTube
Yes, IMHO.

It's somewhat hit and miss, occasionally puerile but he has some great interviews.
I usually skip his 5 minute warm up and start with the guests. It's the guests that make the show and the fact that after they have talked about what they want to talk about, they are being asked emergency questions (really daft questions) * which often ends up in some really interesting stories and discussions.

*Would you rather have a hand made of ham (grows back eventually if you nibble on it) or an armpit that dispenses suncream (enough for you, not enough to start a commercial enterprise).

Obviously a lot of guests are comedians but he does get some corking interviews with non comedians. Brian Blessed's interview is quite something else.

UphillSlowly

Yes, IMHO.

It's somewhat hit and miss, occasionally puerile but he has some great interviews.
I usually skip his 5 minute warm up and start with the guests. It's the guests that make the show and the fact that after they have talked about what they want to talk about, they are being asked emergency questions (really daft questions) * which often ends up in some really interesting stories and discussions.

*Would you rather have a hand made of ham (grows back eventually if you nibble on it) or an armpit that dispenses suncream (enough for you, not enough to start a commercial enterprise).

Obviously a lot of guests are comedians but he does get some corking interviews with non comedians. Brian Blessed's interview is quite something else.

Great, thanks. Will have to check it

Stephenite

Membå

I listen to that on the paid version of Spotify. The episodes follow on chronologically. Though i cherry-pick which episodes i listen to as there are so many.

UphillSlowly

Yes, IMHO.

Listened to most of a RHLSTP podcast this morning on the dog walk. Plumped for the one with James Acaster. Was very enjoyable. Thanks for recommending it

Top Bottom