How do you handle...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Arch

I'm worried that Patrick may have some competition as it would appear that I agree with you again!:biggrin:

So who knows a sympathetic MP who would be willing to lobby for cyclecraft training as part of the national curriculum?

Just think of the benefits, not only would cyclists become safer in general and hopefully better behaved, but think of the effects on cyclist numbers, they would increase. This would lead to reductions in car travel, CO2 emissions, traffic congestion, obesity and other health issues related to our sedentary lifestyles and pollution.

Surely this has got to be something that politicians would want to support :biggrin:;)

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

magnatom said:
So who knows a sympathetic MP who would be willing to lobby for cyclecraft training as part of the national curriculum?

Our Cambridge MP might be up for it. Want me to have a go?

Cab that would be great!;) Of course as I am in Scotland I think I will have to try and lobby an MSP as well. Any Scots on here know of any cycling friendly MSPs?

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
Arch

I'm worried that Patrick may have some competition as it would appear that I agree with you again!;)

What have you got to worry about? He's just a sharp legal brain with a cabinet full of rifles...

oh...

Wider than cyclecraft - Roadcraft. Cyclecraft will just sound to a lot of people like the old cycle proficiency test, and they'll think, well, that's all very useful for a few kids on bikes, but what good does it do me? Bill it as a general improvement in roadsafety for all - stress the 'potential drivers' bit. Everyone assumes kids grow out of bikes, and into cars. So, let's try and make them better drivers by instilling good practice early on! (Of course, if increased confidence and road safety leads them to stay on bikes, that's one up to 'us';))'

Sometimes, you have to play people at their own game to win...

I have set up a new YouTube account specifically for bad cycle lane/facility videos.

http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=badcyclelanes

Have a look, especially at the introduction I have written and let me know what you think.

I will post this in the Cycle paths thread as well as it may have a slightly different audience.

Arch,

Yes I see your point about aiming it at road craft instead of cycle craft. Of course at school this would be best achieved on a bike!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yup, bung my bad lanes film up -do I just need to give you the link?

That one you've put up is a classic left hook, but would a non-cyclist understand WHY the cycle lane design led to it? Is there a way to add descriptive text in that box with the title - like there is on the actual video page?

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
Arch,

Yes I see your point about aiming it at road craft instead of cycle craft. Of course at school this would be best achieved on a bike!

Nah, give a bunch of 12 year olds a Mondeo each, and see how they get on in the playground...;)

Arch said:
That one you've put up is a classic left hook, but would a non-cyclist understand WHY the cycle lane design led to it? Is there a way to add descriptive text in that box with the title - like there is on the actual video page?

I have written a description and I have changed the layout on site a little so that the user will see it when they click on the video (although they need to click to expand it:sad:)

I don't think I can take the video off of YouTube I might need you to send me it. How big is the video (file size). If you could write a wee comment for it that would be great as well.

AndyB

Hi all,
Maybe a "Bad Cycle Lanes" YouTube Group is what we should create?
We can upload videos to our own accounts and then add them to the group from there.

Andy

AndyB said:
Hi all,
Maybe a "Bad Cycle Lanes" YouTube Group is what we should create?
We can upload videos to our own accounts and then add them to the group from there.

Andy

Ah. Didn't know you could do that. I will try and cobble one together. Thanks for that Andy.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ok, I'm addded, but so are ALL my videos! I don't mind, but it's cluttering up the group with irrelevant stuff. How do I change that? I didn't do anything, it just bunged them all up there!

Arch,

I can't see your videos in the group. You should have to actively add them. Are you sure your not just seeing your own account?;)

Top Bottom