How do you know if a jacket is waterproof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Waterproof stuff stays waterproof for a while. It is very expensive. (Unless it is made of non-breathable material, in which case it might be waterproof, but it won't matter very much as you will be stewing in your own sweat anyway.)

Levo-Lon

Guru
Anything that's keeps water in, [generally] doesn't let water out... so in my experience after a few miles riding I'm as wet as I would have been if I hadn't worn the waterproof at all.

cant argue with that..sweat is the prob when I wear either a waterproof jacket or just a light summer wind beater.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
waterproof is sh1t.

for cycling, windproof is better. if you cycle with a little bit of effort you will get hot and sweaty.

that waterproofness stops your sweat getting out - hence boil in the bag.

in the rain. I get wetter from sweat than falling rain

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Staying warm when it is wet is the key thing. As had been said, you'll get wet from sweat or rain, but keep yourself warm and you'll be comfortable. Skin is waterproof so don't worry too much about keeping it away from water.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Anything that's keeps water in, [generally] doesn't let water out... so in my experience after a few miles riding I'm as wet as I would have been if I hadn't worn the waterproof at all.
I feel the same. They are just boil in the bag and I personally prefer close fitting warm layers. I get my base layers from aldi and my top layers from Corrine Dennis, which are designed to stay warm when wet.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Paramo Nikwax Analogy. Expensive, but you can breathe through it, literally- it doesn't depend on a membrane or taped seams. Quito is the cycling specific jacket, or theVista, which is a lighter fabric but the same principle. I have the Vista, which is awesome on cold wet days. I also have a five year old Velez smock which is still working very well. It's washed in Nikwax Techwash and then TX Directional Water Repellent. Water beads on the surface for ages, but the fabric eventually wets out. Then the pump liner shifts a massive amount of sweat and vapour outwards, and it stays warm even when wet. It never feels wet against the skin, or on the base layer.

They aren't cheap, they cost the same if not more than Gore, but because of the way the fabric is made they don't wear out like taped membrane jackets.

DRM

Guru
Don't waste your money on the Muddy Fox jacket, I made the same mistake, it wasn't even shower proof & you got so hot that you were wet through with sweat, I bought an Endura jacket which is breathable & rain proof, was about £50 also the last time I was in a TK Maxx they had a gore bikewear jacket in at £49, was a small though so it stayed on the rail.
Have a look at wiggle, chain reaction, and Planet X for a jacket.

Jackets that aren't labelled as "waterproof" aren't waterproof. Same goes for the ones marked "waterproof"
So if I understand you, jackets labeled as waterproof, "aren't waterproof." :scratch:

Perhaps I've spent too long in hospital :laugh:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If the jacket does not have at least 2 zeros after the first figure in the price, you are going to get wet one way or the other, either from the Inside or out. The trick is to be moist and warm I think.

Cubist

Still wavin'
You can always spray a not too good waterproof item with this stuff.http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=waterproofing fabric spray&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=245155 It might make it less breathable but cheaper items are already non breathable so you wont feel a difference.

Good call. The Nikwax spray on or wash-in stuff will also make a wind proof shell garment water resistant. I use it on my Dare2be, Montane and Paramo wind proof shells to good effect; water beads off the shells for a good long time before eventually wetting out, but only in the wettest conditions. It's also part of a maintenance regime for Analogy and Goretex membrane clothing like Event and Paclite.

BigAl68

Über Member
Muddy fox = do not buy. Boil you like a microwave dinner and the zips break.

I would never buy anything from them again. I also reproof my winter jackets as this seems to be the best solution.

vickster

Legendary Member
I try not to ride in heavy rain but my altura night vision (vintage c 2011) has always kept me dry but more importantly warm. The cold gets me very quickly when rainy, rather than the wet so I prefer a bit sweaty to a bit cold

I also have a funkier raincape which does a pretty good job on wet warmer days and cost £25

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
You can tell if the material is waterproof by seeing if you can breath through it. Discreetly obviously :whistle:. The issue on a lot of jackets is the seams though where a lot end up leaking when it gets really wet.

On your advice I just tried this on one of my grandchildren - my Solicitor will be in touch.

PS: not that it matters now: the jacket is waterproof.

Top Bottom