How do you lot do it???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I don't know how you manage to cycle through Rhyl, let alone Rhyl in the evening, you are very brave :biggrin:

Mr Pig

There is another group that can be a hazard. Kids!

My run home takes me near a local primary school and on a Friday I pass just after they get out. Last summer there was a small group of boys crossing the road, they saw me coming and most moved out of the way. One hero however decided to stand there and yell at me and threw his bag at me after I'd jinked past him.

Wasn't jubilant so I turned back and confronted him. He basically lied about everything I asked him, including the school he went to, which was pretty idiotic considering he was wearing the uniform, and obviously wouldn't tell me his name. His luck was really out though as just then my wife drove along having just picked up my son from the same school! They rolled the windows down and I said 'Calvin, do you know this boy?' He said 'Yes' and told me his name :0) Which the boy denied.

We wrote a letter to the school and my wife went up to see the head, who she knows quite well, and the boy got pulled up by the school. Nice to actually get a result for a change!

We've also had kids throw stones at us from the top of a hill, which could've been very nasty.

Jockey

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
The more you do the route the more you get used to where the trouble spots are and you adapt your riding accordingly. I can go many weeks / months without an issue and then get cut up 3 times in a week.

I agree with this, yet i have a single lane bridge that i have to go over and going into work it is my right of way, and no matter where I position myself to save me getting cut up by an on coming car, most people still take advantage and try and squeeze past.. Why do this, if I was a motorbike they'd give way... I reckon it's becuase they know i'll come off worse, and in which case I'll move over (which I do, becuase it probably would hurt!!). That being said, when someone does wait and let me cross, they get a hand up and a Thank you!

Animal

How do we do it?

You have to show no fear. I get the fear 10 minutes or so before home time, but you have to put that in a box until you get to quieter roads.

It's like climbing in that way.

MERV

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
The more you do the route the more you get used to where the trouble spots are and you adapt your riding accordingly. I can go many weeks / months without an issue and then get cut up 3 times in a week.

Aye!

PBancroft

Truth be told, I don't do it. Not every day.

My route is pretty good. Drivers usually give plenty of room, are courteous etc., the only problem is the distance (11.5 miles) and elevation (damn steep).

For these reasons I don't cycle everyday.

Contrary to popular belief, I think other road users are getting more understanding of cyclists, in comparison to the last few years where the trend has been in the opposite direction. If my route was less than it is, and flatter than it is, I wouldn't have a problem doing it everyday, on road or not.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't cycle everyday. In truth my commute is ridiculously easy and anybody could do it (that is not me bragging, me saying I'm no good at it). The only things of note on it are 3 insane large roundabouts, a section where HGVs come along regularly and a 500ft climb. The morning ride is particularly enjoyable.

I can't stand sitting in traffic jams on the bus and can't be bothered with the hassles of driving; I also enjoy cycling, so I prefer it.
I tend to cycle two routes one which is 90% off road along an old railway path or an on road route which is shorter but steeper. I think I prefer the on road route.

cupoftea

I cycle 5 days a week, all year round and I just think you get used to it.

As someones already said, you learn the trouble spots and you also get better at identifing dangerous drivers. You learn not to cycle in the gutter or next to parked cars, or up the inside of lorries etc

Top Bottom