How do you lot do it???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sadjack

Hats off to all you urban commuters, indeed any one who commutes by road!

My normal ride is 14 miles along a shared path with walkers. All along the coast from Prestatyn to Colwyn Bay. The most I have to worry about is people with dogs on long leads !! and the drunks on Rhyl prom in the evening on my way home. Its a great ride and sets my day up.

A stiff head wind (ok breeze) last evening I decided to cut through Rhyl town and along the coast road, reasoning I would get some shelter.

WOW what an eye opener. Cars squeezing past, turning left in front of me, a general disregard for cyclists.

I last commuted on the road about 7 years ago (4 miles form Prestatyn to Rhyl) and I have to say the standard of driving seems to have gone down, drivers are so much more impatient.

So I just thought I'd say hi to all you guys and gals that battle with the traffic every day and a big hats off.

By the way if your ever cycling the track along the coast I metion above and are greeted by a guy riding a 20 year old Raliegh with a big grin who shouts "Hi" please shout Hi back ;) Suprising how many dont!

walker

I think cycling in cities might be easier by road as drivers are more aware of us, as there are hundreds of us going past at any one time, I would even go as far as saying the cyclist has taken over London

Mr Pig

Tynan said:
you get used to it

Yes you do. I still don't like it though. I'd say I get abuse or just missed maybe one in three times I cycle to work. What's good about that? I'm buying one of those helmet cameras!

My recreasional cycling is all done on quiet back/country roads, cycle track or off road. playing tig with the traffic isn't my idea of a good time.

You do get used to it. However, you also get weeks at a time when the riding is bliss. I've had some great commutes recently, where I have found myself surprised by how wide the cars are when they are overtaking me:ohmy:. I wouldn't give as much room as some of the cars have given me recently!:smile:

I suppose you could say the bad commuting days are like buses: you have none for ages and then 6 come along at once!

I'm not suggesting for one mimute that buses are the cause of the bad days, you understand...xx(:ohmy:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I agree here - for the most part, my commutes are really nice. But then I realise sometimes, that I put up with things that would drive other people crazy. I am very rarely in any actual danger, however there are occasional days (that seem to come grouped together) on which you encounter several morons at once. My experience is that these morons come into three categories - charvers in souped-up little cars, sales-rep types in audis / beemers, and the urban wealthy in enormous chelsea tractors. I rarely have any trouble with bus drivers, but then I do things like let them pull out and stop traffic so that can do so...

Flying_Monkey said:
I agree here - for the most part, my commutes are really nice. But then I realise sometimes, that I put up with things that would drive other people crazy. I am very rarely in any actual danger, however there are occasional days (that seem to come grouped together) on which you encounter several morons at once. My experience is that these morons come into three categories - charvers in souped-up little cars, sales-rep types in audis / beemers, and the urban wealthy in enormous chelsea tractors. I rarely have any trouble with bus drivers, but then I do things like let them pull out and stop traffic so that can do so...

I should point out that the bus comment was a joke. As FM says buses are usually fine. I actually never had any problems with souped-up cars. I find they give me plenty of room. I don't think they want to spoil the paint job!xx(

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
magnatom said:
I should point out that the bus comment was a joke. As FM says buses are usually fine. I actually never had any problems with souped-up cars. I find they give me plenty of room. I don't think they want to spoil the paint job!xx(

Actually, it isn't really the nicely-done up cars, it's more the ones with a few mods on the cheap driven by wannabees...

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
The more you do the route the more you get used to where the trouble spots are and you adapt your riding accordingly. I can go many weeks / months without an issue and then get cut up 3 times in a week.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'm amazed by those who can cycle any distance for a commute. I am still building up my stamina a bit at a time. I can manage 1.5 miles continuous 17mph on the cycle trainer and about 6 miles on the road at variable speeds and conditions.

When I cycle in traffic though I cycle as I drive, following the rules of the road and keeping a dominant positioning unless I am slowing down traffic. Then I move over to let them pass, and sometimes just stop for a breather.

Top Bottom