Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Mainly by plastic

• Cash and plastic at the same time.

• Barter with other goods

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Wife has just started part-time work in a shop selling books. She has been ill with ME for 7 years, but is better now. However due to the physical after-effects (muscle weakness, lack of stamina), she is doing two mornings a week voluntary work to prove to herself and potential future employees that she is fit to work.

Anyway, yesterday she learnt how to do a sale where a customer wanted to pay half by plastic, and half by cash. Now she thought this a bit strange, but lo and behold, someone came in, bought some stuff, and wanted to pay partly in cash, and partly on their card.

Does anyone on here do this?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Only thing I can think is 2 or more people are buying a book for someone as a present. They give cash to one prson and send him into the shop. S/he doesn't have enough cash so uses that given to them and their own card for the rest. I would ave kept the cash and used card to pay in full. Can't envisage another scenario or reason to pay part cash part card.

mark barker

The cash/card combo does sound a bit odd to me, but then I guess my cash only approach seems to puzzle many folks. I've not used a card for over 5 years (not even an ATM card!).

Mike!

Guru
I've done it - usually when i've had cash for my birthday or christmas and am buying something over that value.

Nothing weird in it at all!!

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Firstly, im sorry to hear that your wife has ME, but its good that shes getting back into the swing of things with the voluntary work. Very best of luck to her with it :biggrin:

I normally use Debit card for my shop purchases, cash in cafes and yes, on occasion I have paid for an expensive item in store using some cash/some card.

ramses

numbnuts said:
cash what's that ??

It's that rather annoying weight that just builds and builds in your pocket! :ohmy:

Card is much better, sooo convenient!

brokenbetty

Über Member
Everything on the card unless the card charge is higher than 1%. I get 1% cashback and always pay the card off at the end of the month. The cashback is capped at £200 a year, but why turn down a free £200?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What guitarpete said or otherwise they are very short of money (happens). I know quite a few people that would happily pay half and half so they can buy something without going over their overdraft but most shops won't accept it.

You forgot to include cheque book. Something I've not seen in the UK for years, but folks seem to like to still use in the US. It's always the case that when I'm in a rush, the person in front of me will be writing out a cheque and will take ages. After they've left, I swipe my card with extra vigor and emphasis on our easy it is.

Brains

Legendary Member
marzjennings said:
You forgot to include cheque book. Something I've not seen in the UK for years, but folks seem to like to still use in the US. It's always the case that when I'm in a rush, the person in front of me will be writing out a cheque and will take ages. After they've left, I swipe my card with extra vigor and emphasis on our easy it is.

Better hurry up and use the remaining cheques, they are going to be phased out of use in the UK by mid 2012.

Top Bottom