How do you prepare your bike for winter ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I've noticed a few reports of 'offs' over the last 10 days or so as a result of ice. On saturday morning, I had a bit of a moment, also, I believe, as a result of black ice. It has made me wonder how you hardened 'all weather riders' prepare or adapt your bikes for the winter weather. There are alot of asides commenting on how the rider had prepared themselves for the cold and wet, but I have not seen anyone giving advice about how you prepare your bikes. As a leisure rider, I would only go out on two wheels if it where unavoidable, and only then over very short distances, during bad spells of weather, but you guys seem to take for granted and you will just ride anyway. I would be interested to know what you do to make it possible in terms of hardwear, rather than softwear, if you see what I mean.
:bicycle:

Drago

Legendary Member
My bikes fully kitted and prepared all year round. I recorded 2 frosty night rides home as early as July, and rain in May us just as wet as in December. I keep the maintenance cycle going all year but I don't change my tyres for winter like some prefer to do.

HovR

Über Member
I don't do anything in particular, I'll ride my commuter road bike on 23mm tires through the year unless it gets icy/snowy, in which case I'll get the mountain bike out.

During the winter I do get a bit lazy maintaining tires pressures, so they're a bit softer than normal which will give me a little more grip in adverse conditions. My commuter runs a cheap chain and a rear mech that isn't mega expensive, so any corrosion damage from salted roads isn't expensive to fix. There's only one chainring at the front so no rear mech to get fouled up with road dirt/salt.

Remember to keep up on lubricating your chain, especially after wet rides, or you'll find it deteriorates pretty quickly. Cables will also take a bit more of a hit during the winter, so you'll need to lubricate them every now and then and possibaly replace them towards the end of winter.

Keep up on other general lubrication/repacking such as hubs, and your bike will be fine.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Like Drago I do nothing to winterise my bike. It wears tough puncture resistant tyres, mudguards and lights year round.

But I'm also lucky to have a nice lightweight bike for leisure rides so don't mind a tank for commuting.

Drago

Legendary Member
Roger that Moodyman. I love my commuter, but its an MTB that's evolved into a comfy commuter with all weather capability, intended to get me there come what may.

That indefatigability makes it my dependable friend, a single minded commuter and perhaps even a headway decent trekking-tourer. If I want some flighty fun then the roadie cones out, but that's as unsuitable for 365 day use as the commuter is in an audax.

For me it's full guards with extensions and mucho tyre clearance, A1 lighting, decent tyres, Hope 4 pots for awesome all weather stopping power, and kitted for luggage - in my case a top box for 100% dependable waterproof carrying, but the ability to also carry panniers. Road stem, bars with inboard mounted bar ends to give a bit of lean into a headwind.

Headset stripped and greased twice yearly, chain mickled weekly, cleaned weekly and the slightest problem pounced on and eliminated before it can cause grief.

My old friend will see me through Winter every bit as faithfully as it did the Summer.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Plus, choose the roads to suit the weather.

If there's a risk of ice, then stick to roads you know which either/or will have been gritted/generally stay dry/dry quick.

Aye. Stick to bus routes as they always get gritted.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
but you guys seem to take for granted and you will just ride anyway.

Some of us just need locking up ! :hyper:

Even with doctor's orders not to, some of us still ride. :wacko:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I stick to the roads that I know from experience don't tend to get icy unless it gets really cold.

If it snows, or if it does actually get really cold, I ride the 'cross bike because it's got fat tyres and I can run them soft. I've got studded tyres if required, it's rare (SE England) but I've used them a few times in the last three years.

I hardly do any maintenance during the winter because it's dark when I leave and dark when I get back, and either cold or wet. I wipe the rims and lube the chain from time to time. I replace pads and cables if required in the autumn, give it a service. I use 28 mm puncture resistant tyres all year round on the commuter. I like to use a hub dynamo lighting system because otherwise I forget to charge batteries and I like to be able to get the bike out and use it at any time. Bike is simple, fixed gear, easy-ish to maintain but I've used geared bikes too and they aren't much more hassle.

Most of the "summer" I use my roadie, then come autumn on go my 28mm treaded tyres.
As of tomorrow with an off this morning my MTB comes out.
Semi-slicks at he mo followed by full treads when the proper snow hits.
I'll use it all through the winter until around late feb-march then back to the roadie n 28's

Winter readiness, nothing extra apart from extra lights and full hi-vis jacket n pack cover.
Add on over-shoes and waterproof pants in readiness.

Ooh, I may stick a rear mudguard on.

Rinse down the bike daily if I can to get the salt off and a good clean and oil/grease and fine adjustments at the weekend

jim55

Guru
du still go with spds in this weather ,iv thought about just going with flat pedals as i dont fancy trying to get my feet out in a real split second slip on ice that would tend to b recoverable with a wee dab of foot down

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's the same road bike that I use (very mildly) year-round with nothing special added for winter. I try to clean it a bit less infrequently in the winter, and give the motor a bit of porridge.
I don't do ice, but in London that doesn't really make any difference to things except extremely rarely.

Drago

Legendary Member
du still go with spds in this weather ,iv thought about just going with flat pedals as i dont fancy trying to get my feet out in a real split second slip on ice that would tend to b recoverable with a wee dab of foot down
I use SPDs all year, all conditions. Your foot will come off the pedal every bit as quick so long as you twist at the same time, and after a couple of thousand clicks you will have developed the muscle memory to take care of that.

Top Bottom