How do you prepare your bike for winter ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I only have one bike (Specialized Allez). It's the same all year round.

Jdratcliffe

Nahda i clean grease bike weekly and i change the tyres i run ( gp4000s for the "summer months" and the 4 season for winter) lower presures a bit 110front to 95 and 120 rear to 110.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I'm using my year-round commuter, but I'm considering refurbing my old MTB and adding spikes because the frost & ice are making me nervous.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
i haven't done anything for my bike just making sure its in good nick.
The only thing ive done is what i wear.
Now wearing thermal cloves and socks along with a full face balaclava. So when ever i get my bike it looks like im trying to nick it from 6th form.

wisdom

Guru
My main commuter bike is a ridgeback hybrid.I run with full mudguards all year on this one.My roadie has nothing on it except lights and bottle cages so unless its an event it stays in the garage except for good weather.
On the commuter which is used daily.I wipe the frame down every sunday and check the tyres(pressure and visual inspection).Clean the rims and check the pads.I then thoroughly clean and relube the chain.
Finally i spray the frame and carbon forks lightly with silicone spray.This makes the next weeks clean easy and protects the frame from the salt and grit.
Finally i lubricate all brake pivots
The total time is about 20 minutes but it keeps everything in order.
Once a month i check all the allen bolts just to make sure everything is tight.
This has worked for me for years and the bike still looks nearly new.

D

Deleted member 1258

My fixed runs 700x28 tyres plus mudguards all year round, at the start of winter I'll put the lights back on it, give it an extra check over and oiling, during the winter I'll be a bit more strict about cleaning and oiling the bike.

OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
As always, many different ideas about what is the right thing to do, but a common one seems to be much the same as my own method of year round maintanence, little and often. One or two surprises, the comment about spiked tyres, I wasnt aware they existed, and lights being fitted, I would have assumed that an everyday cyclist would have lights fitted all year. But, as the saying goes, never assume because it will make an ASS of U & ME. I like a bit of weekly maintanance, I find it almost theraputic, and it gets me out of the armchair too. Cheers for all your posts, any more would be welcomed.

D

Deleted member 1258

Theres no point leaving the lights on in the summer if all you're riding is done in daylight, I must admit I've never used spikes or studs despite being an all weather rider for many years.

not much different to summer here either - I live down a long single track muddy lane, so you either learn to cycle on ice and mud or don't cycle (my neighbour take his car to the closest car park from the end of our lane and cycles from there). Bike gets washed down after each ride unless it is below freezing (in which case the lane is frozen solid, a sheet of ice and the mud stays on the road). Chain gets attention pretty much every day - its all I can do. Still same tyres, 700-25c, mud guards are essential in my book and make a considerable difference to the amount of muck finding its way to the chain. lights all year round, end of story.

The only thing I would say is cycling on ice is not really that different from driving on ice. You need to slow down without using your brakes excessively, don't take corners fast and avoid white lines. they are lethal to most things!

Top Bottom