How do you remove a Truvativ Elita GXP crank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I'm stripping down and cleaning/regreasing the Pompino but I've come to a halt removing the cranks.

It's a Truvativ Elita external BB type. I know I only need to remove the non drive side crank to get the BB off but I can't see how the crank comes off. There's a single 8mm bolt (non drive side), which I've removed but I don't know if the crank unscrews or 'simply' slides off. It looks like it unscrews but I don't want to start heaving on anything until I'm sure.

Does anyone know?

jpembroke

Fairly sure it's the same as Shimano/FSA cranksets. LH crank should slide off once the bolt is undone. Then you can tap the drive side out (lightly) with a rubber mallet from the non-drive side. Then undo the BB cups with appropriate tool. Perhaps download the pdf from the SRAM website to be on the safe side.

buddha

Veteran
jpembroke said:
Fairly sure it's the same as Shimano/FSA cranksets. LH crank should slide off once the bolt is undone. Then you can tap the drive side out (lightly) with a rubber mallet from the non-drive side. Then undo the BB cups with appropriate tool. Perhaps download the pdf from the SRAM website to be on the safe side.

That's what I did for my Pompino. You do have to give it quite a whack though.
Undoing the BB cups is another matter. After some advice from Brant at On-One I had to pour boiling water over them and fix a 5ft scaffold pole to the BB removal wrench to get enough leverage!

OP
OP
Y

yello

buddha said:
After some advice from Brant at On-One I had to pour boiling water over them and fix a 5ft scaffold pole to the BB removal wrench to get enough leverage!

Don't fancy that, sounds too much like hard work!

I decided to leave it be anyway, it was all turning sweetly so little was to be achieved by removing it. But it sounds like I'm going to have a bit of a job on my hands when it comes to replacing the BB though!

To be fair to On-One, nothing really needed regreasing. Hubs, BB, headset are all still sweet as... like new even. And I'm no fair weather rider either - the pompino is my winter bike, gets abused and very little tlc. Today's the 1st time in 4 years that it's been stripped and cleaned!

davidad

I used an extractor to remove the non-drive side crank on mine.

Keep an eye on that 8mm allen bolt that holds everything together. I've heard of a few cases of it coming loose and the crank falling off. Mine slackened off slightly a couple of times but I wrapped some ptfe tape round the threads and it's been ok since.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Whilst I don't have a Truvativ crank, the RaceFace cranks on my Kona sound identical to these. Later models of my cranks have a self extracting bolt too, but my earlier ones don't. After I've removed the 8mm retaining bolt it looks pretty similar to the photo you have of the Truvativ cranks. To remove mine, I use exactly the same crank puller that Ming has linked to in the post before mine.

Top Bottom