How do you remove these rear bearings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I’ve been on a few courses at bearing factories, and seem to remember that the rule of thumb for deep groove ball bearings was that grease should occupy 1/3 of the enclosed cavity.

I’ve been on a few courses at bearing factories, and seem to remember that the rule of thumb for deep groove ball bearings was that grease should occupy 1/3 of the enclosed cavity.
Perhaps for your particular application, but bearings can be had will all sorts of fill capacities.

Here's a clip from one of my manuals:

Bearing Grease Codes.JPG

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thanks, that is really interesting about the recommended filling amounts.

The motor at Ryvita was an old Crompton Parkinson Imperial frame with open bearings. It had fine mesh plates in both end shields for ventilation and of course these were completely blocked causing overheating, plus the constant vibration from the rest of the plant and equipment played a part.
The tolerance on the inner retainer was such that it was easy for the grease to escape that way as the new grease was being vigorously pumped in. The guy didn't realise that the bolt on the front retainer opposite the grease nipple had to be removed to let the old grease out.
They had issued him with a hydraulic grease gun and I did see that they kept 25 litre drums of bearing grease in the Maintenance workshop :-)

hobo

O' wise one
I have just replaced the bearings inside a fulcrum 5 rear wheel and found the original bearings only had a cover on the outside facing side, thought that a bit odd as there s no grease port for the inside of the hub.

I have just replaced the bearings inside a fulcrum 5 rear wheel and found the original bearings only had a cover on the outside facing side, thought that a bit odd as there s no grease port for the inside of the hub.

Yes, I wish I know what's up with that. It is a stupid idea. Those bearings fail quickly.

Top Bottom