How do you tell if a bike can fit in mudguards and pannier rack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thursday guy

What do you look for specifically?

I've attached some photos I've taken of a bike I'm interested in. I would like to know if that bike can fit on mudguards and a pannier rack.

Rear wheel

rear wheel.jpg

Top of rear wheel

front wheel.jpg

Front wheel

top of rear wheel.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's looking hopeful because the bike appears to have the right mounting holes. You also need enough clearance between the tyres and the rest of the bike - there probably will be. Take a look under the brakes, above the tyres. Oh, and check how far away from the seat tube the front of the rear tyre is.

sgl5gjr

Yep looks good to me..... and as it's a B'twin you will find the majority of their bikes will take a rack and probably guards..... Triban 500 SE? per chance

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You will need to mount the rear rack and guard stays at the same point near the rear axel. Easy ! My MTB uses one point but my commuter has two mounting bosses.

OP
OP
Thursday guy

Thursday guy

It's looking hopeful because the bike appears to have the right mounting holes. You also need enough clearance between the tyres and the rest of the bike - there probably will be. Take a look under the brakes, above the tyres. Oh, and check how far away from the seat tube the front of the rear tyre is.

Heres a slightly better photo of the rear. Do you think I'll fit in mud guards AND slightly wider tyres? (from 23mm in the photo to 28mm)

top of real wheel 2.png

shadow master

Yep got all the holes for rack bottom and top,and yes guards will go under the brakes,they look like long drop brakes,top holes exclusively for the rack,but the bottom ones will take the rack and the mudguard stays if that's the type you go for,you will need some longish water bottle studs to do the job at the bottom(25mm)rack may come with them.

jay clock

Massive member
I think the answer is yes. Back brake clearance looks good. Check how much clearance under the front fork. The other mounting points all look excellent. You will need longer allen bolts if putting both a mudguard stay and a rack on the ones near the rear hub.

Those Deckie bikes are excellent by the way

shadow master

Looks like it would take the 28mm tyres and you'd still get the guards in there,looks like a flat bar road bike,should be OK with a rack and bags,as long as your not going to carry a dome tent and 8 litres of white cider....I love camping! Lol

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you do go for it, be very careful when bolting into the tops of the stays; those lugs have a very small threaded area and it's easy to cross-thread the bolt.

Last edited:
Rack and 'guards will fit. Use SKS chromoplastic 'guards, probably P35. Check if the brake bolt is an old-fashioned nut and bolt or a modern inset /flush allen bolt style.
On a single set of eyelets, place the rack legs next to the frame and 'guards outside. If the rack is outside, it has extra leverage on the bolt.
Supplied bolts are very soft metal (except for Tubus). Use stainless steel M5 allen bolt long enough to protrude 2-3 threads. Grease or anti sieze threads.
Use washers. On Al rack threads, I use anti-rotation star washers.

Top Bottom