How do you wash your kit when on holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I don't use cycle specific clothing, preferring to cycle in civvies and be mistaken for a local and have enjoyed visiting launderettes or whatever they may be called in foreign places wasserette/ waschsalon/ vaskeri/ pradelna/ tvattomat etc etc. If you can find one close to a pub it can be convenient to try out the local brew whilst dotting back and fore to check progress in the washing m/c.
They provide good opportunities for discussion with fellow customers on all sorts of topics which one might wish to clarify in regard to local customs and habits.
Drying was never a problem as they are usually equipped with tumble driers.
I remember discussing a problem with the Dutch equivalent of zebra crossings in one launderette and asking a woman why some pedestrians did not walk across the zebra even when they could see I had ample stopping time. They probably thought you were a local was her response:sad:.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This is useful. Am going on my first little bike tour of Belgium in May and working out how to pack light - not my forte! How do you dry your spare kit whilst cycling or will it dry overnight?
That's the good thing about lycra. It dries quick. The towel trick, hanging it up overnight and it will be dry.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As Mrs D doesnt cycle I tend to hire a bike for 2 separate days which gives time for stuff to dry. But I also take a pair of nylon briefs/undies (speedo style) which are comfy and allow me consequtive days without washing my shorts if needed.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
As Mrs D doesnt cycle I tend to hire a bike for 2 separate days which gives time for stuff to dry. But I also take a pair of nylon briefs/undies (speedo style) which are comfy and allow me consequtive days without washing my shorts if needed.

Just like a pair of speedo trunks then? Do they chafe? Must easier to wash a pair of them as opposed to a pair of cycle shorts!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't wear a huge pad that takes ages to dry when washed or collects sweat as a growing medium for nasties, so a wash in a sink or dry bag followed by a towel swiss roll wringing and then hanging on a pegless travel washing line (posh name for two thin bungees twizzled) overnight has been enough.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Tendency to have a lot of dew overnight around here, so a mesh bag works best for drying. Anti-bacterial soap for the shower and washing clothes, washed and tread out during shower, as above.

Tenkaykev

Guru
+1 for chucking the washing in the shower and "treading grapes" as you shower. Rinse and wring out.
Then lay items in towel, stand on one end of the towel and grasping the opposite end twist continuously until the towel won't twist no more.
Unroll, smooth out and hang up to finish drying.
Smaller items like a pair of socks or pants / knickers can be rinsed in the sink and wrung out by hand. If there is a kettle in the room then fill with water and bring to the boil, once boiled leave the water in the kettle and drape socks / pants over the kettle so the residual head aids overnight drying.

Possibly the £3.99 ones lol
Aldi in the past at least has done synthetic undergear which is great for rides of an hour or so, or an all day tootle, where you don't need pads. Seem to remember 2 or 3 pairs for around £5 or £6.

I have a large stash of them and use them most of the time. Doddle to wash and dry. Never had any seam problem.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Several years ago Primark had a range of synthetic " hipster " style mens underpants. I checked the label and they were the same materials as the far more expensive " proper " running underwear.
Seam free medium weight material which gave support without being too obtrusive and a great fit. I pop in to Primark from time to time in the hope that they will be back on the shelves.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
This is useful. Am going on my first little bike tour of Belgium in May and working out how to pack light - not my forte! How do you dry your spare kit whilst cycling or will it dry overnight?
In most places it will be pretty dry by the morning, if you use the towel-wring trick. Otherwise tie it to the outside of your luggage (weather permitting). At worst, a second night will ensure it's dry for wearing.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As above, though you could even wear slightly damp gear and it will dry via body heat and cycling airflow within mins.

I manage a week's tour on two sets of clothes of which, only one gets used. The other spends its time being a spare just in case.

Top Bottom