How Do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guvnor

Thought i'd pop in and say hello.

Just started to get back into cycling after a long long break. I was a cycle courier in London for 2 years then moved up to Motorbikes for a further 15 years. Had to get out out of the game as work was drying up and it was getting far to dangerous with some of the drivers on the road.

Currentley in Essex and driving trains for a living now. A lot safer with no traffic:biggrin:

Just got myself a Boardman Pro Ltd Hybrid through the cycle to work scheme after using my old Trek 4900 alpha MTB for a few months. Must say the Boardman is an absololute dream to ride and one of the lightest cycles ive ever seen. Only complaint is that i think the disc brakes are a bit of an overkill for a road bike. Tend to scrape every now and then and can drive you a bit mad after a while BUT after reading through some of the posts on the forums i think that i should be able to sort it out now. Loads of good advice on here and i'm glad i found you's.

Cheers all;)

Hello Guvnor and welcome to CC from another Essex fella (Brentwood)! :becool:

The forum has got pretty much of everything bike-related, and a little bit more, too!

Hope you stay around, and keep an eye-out for the CC London/East Anglia chapter's ride/get-together!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:blush: Guvnor and ;) to :bicycle:Chat :biggrin:

Driving trains, eh ? Used to be every wee boy's dream ... til they started using diesels :sad:.

Anyway, great to have you here and hope you enjoy your Boardman - they are very well rated bikes.

OP
OP
G

Guvnor

Thanks for the welcome chaps. I'll be sticking around as there's far to much good advice and information on here.:wacko:

Cheers again;)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
scoosh said:
:smile: Guvnor and :thumbsup: to :bicycle:Chat :biggrin:

Driving trains, eh ? Used to be every wee boy's dream ... til they started using diesels :sad:.

Hello Guv'nor!

Scoosh, regarding driving steam, you still can if you go to a certain Town in Western Poland called Wolsztyn - they do week long driving and firing courses on the Wolsztyn to Poznan and Lezsno routes, and make no mistake about it, these are real, state railways owned, kettles working for a living, using modern modifications and proceedes from the driving courses just to keep running.
None of the highly polished Flying Scotsman museum piece crap that nobody under the age of about 50 in this country can relate to any more anyway in Wolsztyn, this is the REAL DEAL as as they really SHOULD be.
Kettles in the wild as it were, ha ha!!
Over there, you get to drive REAL commuter trains and Freight, without the scrum of photters who all appear everytime a steam locos appears, and what is better, it's in Rural Poland, so you can cycle about in a landscape that looks like it's from about 40 years ago, complete with the guy out ploughing his field with a horse!
'Tis flat as a pancake though, but nothing is perfect.

Tell you what, it was the first time in YEARS that I'd seen a Lada! :laugh::laugh:

No, fcuk the Flying Scotsman, I'd rather be on an OL49 as it tries to deafen you and shake itself to pieces in a cloud of smoke, steam, coal dust, oil and grime whilst barking along at about 60 mph at the head of a REAL train!

http://thewolsztynexperience.org/

Disclaimer, just 'cos I like trains (and other bits of machinery), it doesn't mean I'm a trainspotter. Roit?
I gave that up YEARS ago.

Besides, Essex?? Unless it's freight, I'd say Gun'nor drives Electrics, not diseasesals

I'll get me coat!

OP
OP
G

Guvnor

Mad Doug Biker said:
Hello Guv'nor!

Besides, Essex?? Unless it's freight, I'd say Gun'nor drives Electrics, not diseasesals

yep, all electric, 315's, 321's, 317's and 360's apart from an 08 shunt engine which is diesal.:smile:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Last time I was down your way in December there, for various reasons I ended up at Seven Sisters, and when I got to the station, there was a '315 that some dipshit had just tried to set on fire.
It wasn't going anywhere and the driver was thoroughly pissed off.
I just hope it wasn't you.

Got good pics of the unit sitting in the sun though :biggrin::blush:

OP
OP
G

Guvnor

nope, not me:biggrin: do you mean seven kings? either way, lovely areas they are!;)

Top Bottom