How does chainset quality affect ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I too have a Bianchi with the same FSA BB30 set-up as you. It creaks, cracks and rumbles, all of which are amplified by the box-like structure of the carbon frame. The only way I keep mine quiet (and it has done two tough, wet winters and much rain) is to tip the bike over a bit and dribble chain lube into the space between the axle and the bearing housing. I know it washes the grease out, but I suspect the grease has been long-gone anyway.
I spoke to Darren (aka Bianchiman) about this at the Bianchi stand on Sunday at Eroica and he told me that the top man on Bianchi bottom brackets is the Bianchi dealer in Wrexham. I have considered upgrading to Campagnolo, but there is such a bewildering range of different sorts of cups, cranks etc that I am unsure what to do. No doubt special tools will be needed too.
Off-topic, I know, but this may help.

Citius

The best upgrade for a BB30 bottom bracket is a 68mm threaded adaptor..

bpsmith

Veteran
The creak will be the BB30 - not the crankset. You won't stop the creaking without removing/re-fitting the crank and/or bearing cups.
That was my initial thoughts too. Not bothered trying to resolve it yet, but it's a tad annoying.
The best upgrade for a BB30 bottom bracket is a 68mm threaded adaptor..

I read a few reviews of these and they weren't that great tbh. Reports of the same creaks, along with them coming loose every so often, etc.

bpsmith

Veteran
I too have a Bianchi with the same FSA BB30 set-up as you. It creaks, cracks and rumbles, all of which are amplified by the box-like structure of the carbon frame. The only way I keep mine quiet (and it has done two tough, wet winters and much rain) is to tip the bike over a bit and dribble chain lube into the space between the axle and the bearing housing. I know it washes the grease out, but I suspect the grease has been long-gone anyway.
I spoke to Darren (aka Bianchiman) about this at the Bianchi stand on Sunday at Eroica and he told me that the top man on Bianchi bottom brackets is the Bianchi dealer in Wrexham. I have considered upgrading to Campagnolo, but there is such a bewildering range of different sorts of cups, cranks etc that I am unsure what to do. No doubt special tools will be needed too.
Off-topic, I know, but this may help.
Mines not the worst creaking out there, but a little annoying, when everything else is whisper quiet. :smile:

Not tried anything on mine yet, but was considering removing the cranks for a clean and regrease of the bearings.

What sort of mileage should we expect from the PF30?

Top Bottom