How does chainset quality affect ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, the old 105 is the 5700 series. No problem with it other than when riding off the saddle, I got some chain rubbing. I adjusted my fd as best as I could but I never fixed the problem. Conclusion was that the crankset was flexing maybe 2mm.
The Dura Ace doesn't flex or flex very little, not enough to rub on the fd. No need to adjust the fd at all. It's a little easier to move from one chainring to another but not a huge improvement.

Weight difference? I can't remember the difference but probably well under 100g. It's welcome as a whole saving....makes the bike 7.5kg which is not bad at all for a large frame.

Is that with the trim function being used, as I can do the whole 10 gears on my middle ring, with a little noise from the rear on the low rear gear (23th) though not on the cage, and pretty much the whole 10 from the the inner and outer though its push the angle of the chain a bit and I suspect any noise is from that rather than chain rub, chainset a spa cycles own with zircal rings, shifts pretty well too can even push it to 24th difference large to small on the chainset.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Yes, even when trimming being used.

How do you explain that with the Dura Ace Crankset I get no rubbing and I did not touch the dérailleur?
let me think, drugs not worn off yet............... thinner chain, manufacturing tolerances, unless its the same chain, changed the bb by any chance if not them stiffer chain ring, unless I can think of something else :whistle:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
let me think, drugs not worn off yet............... thinner chain, manufacturing tolerances, unless its the same chain, changed the bb by any chance if not them stiffer chain ring, unless I can think of something else :whistle:
Nothing else changed.... same BB, same chain and same dereilleur, if fact I didn't have to touch it..... hence my conclusion that there was a little bit of flex from the 105 crankset.

One bit of important information I forgot to mention is 105 was a 175mm arm length and Dura Ace is 170mm. I doubt 5mm would make such a difference though.

KneesUp

Guru
Nothing else changed.... same BB, same chain and same dereilleur, if fact I didn't have to touch it..... hence my conclusion that there was a little bit of flex from the 105 crankset.

One bit of important information I forgot to mention is 105 was a 175mm arm length and Dura Ace is 170mm. I doubt 5mm would make such a difference though.
The 105 could have been slightly loose?
That 5mm of extra leverage is significant?
The FD could have been sticking slightly, and when the cranks were changed it was knocked in such a way that it freed off?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The only thing i have ever noticed when upgrading cranks is a smoother quieter shifting. Maybe my legs are not strong enough to make the rings flex.:whistle:

e-rider

crappy member
Other than weight differences, there is no performance difference between different cranksets. They all do the same job, in the same way.

Some claim benefits from oval rings, but that's more a matter of personal preference.
"there is no performance difference between different cranksets" what a load of nonsense; you clearly have never ridden a high quality chainset!

Citius

"there is no performance difference between different cranksets" what a load of nonsense; you clearly have never ridden a high quality chainset!

notsure-1.jpg

I think the OP asks a really good question. You probably don't realise what a dramatic difference there is between them until you have held one in your hands off the bike. The issue of strength and rigidity is also significant. It is the good old cyclists' rule of three in action. You want light, cheap and strong. You can only have two.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have a creak on my Bianchi when in the top 3 or 4 gears. Have tried the many fixes on here, but still there. Not had the crank off yet though.

It's a PF30 BB with FSA Gossamer Pro BB30 compact. Is it most likely to be the BB or is there a chance that the crankset is creaking?

I have done around 1,500 miles so far, mostly dry. No other issues aside from the creak. What's the norm for when these need replacing roughly?

Citius

I have a creak on my Bianchi when in the top 3 or 4 gears. Have tried the many fixes on here, but still there. Not had the crank off yet though.

It's a PF30 BB with FSA Gossamer Pro BB30 compact. Is it most likely to be the BB or is there a chance that the crankset is creaking?

I have done around 1,500 miles so far, mostly dry. No other issues aside from the creak. What's the norm for when these need replacing roughly?

The creak will be the BB30 - not the crankset. You won't stop the creaking without removing/re-fitting the crank and/or bearing cups.

Top Bottom