How does one start a blog?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
allen-uk said:
Well, I read your post, looking for common ground, and occasionally found it.

But then your final paragraph reveals what seem your true intentions, which is to have a fight.

I don't want a fight.

You like a 'good argument'? I don't, not just for the sake of expending even more hundreds of useless words. I think the irreconciliable difference between us is this: you know you are right; I think I may be wrong.

A

Ok, that's fine. Contrary to what you may think, I am not looking for a 'fight' just a discussion. The rhetoric was there to see whether you liked being subject to the kind of criticism that you seemed to indicate was okay for you to dish out to bloggers in general - but we bite back! Apologies if you took it to heart! And yes, I am sure we have plenty in common...:tongue:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Aperitif said:
I think it is nice that I have been able to read all your points of view Allen, and I look forward to viewing more interesting stuff - good on you Arch...how's the blog coming along? I wouldn't mind seeing a write-up of the Iron Age brain you discussed last week - did they have a magnetic personality in 'them days'? ;)

Well, the chappy (or chappess, we don't know yet) who had this brain possibly didn't have all that great a personality, since he/she appeared to have been decapitated.

Still not started the blog though! This may turn out to be the shortest blog in history!;)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Arch said:
Still not started the blog though! This may turn out to be the shortest blog in history!;)

Don't worry about it. It should be a pleasure not an obligation. I had mine for a year before I did anything with it. Now it has all kinds of useful purposes.

allen-uk

Flying_Monkey said:
The rhetoric was there to see whether you liked being subject to the kind of criticism that you seemed to indicate was okay for you to dish out to bloggers in general - but we bite back! And yes, I am sure we have plenty in common...;)

Two separate issues. I support most of what you support (Amnesty International, etc), and have for most of my long (too long?) life.

Blogs: Yes, they have helped dissemination and argument of issues that would otherwise not have been aired, and as such they must be a Good Thing, on the basis that anything that empowers the powerless is a good thing.

But criticism is still a valid discipline, and unlike the Criticism of the Elite, which always hid its head in a pretence of objectivity, the critical analysis that I favour is, if you like, the Criticism of the Proletariat. Now there's a word you don't hear much these days.

Alright, you were right, I was wrong. I love Big Blogger.

A.

allen-uk

Freewheeler said:
Under the spreading chestnut tree, where I sold you and you sold me.

(Was that right? It's been a long time since I read the book)

Perhaps you mean 'it's been a long time since I read A book'.

A

Freewheeler

Nope:

Under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There lie they, and here lie we
Under the spreading chestnut tree.
1984 (Nineteen Eighty-Four)
Voice singing from telescreen, Part 1, Chapter 7.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Flying_Monkey said:
Brock is right. And you miss my point almost entirely.

You seem to think that evaluation is about deciding what to praise or condemn in new forms of communication based on pre-existing standards derived from previous forms of artistic production.

But when a friend sends you a letter, do you go through it applying a forensic literary standards? Do you give a 15 minute lecture on style and presentation when someone calls you on the phone? I don't think so. You enjoy the fact that your friend has sent you a letter or called you. And if you do the former, you probably don't get many letters or telephone calls from friends anymore!

The trick, as you put it, is not just to divide everything in the world, into black and white / good and bad. There is in fact far more than one trick.

The first trick is to understand what people are doing when they blog. Only some people are doing things to which you can apply artistic / literary critical standards. Most people are using this form of communication for things that are everyday, mundane, ordinary. There is no point in trying to think you can smugly (and rather illiterately) condemn these as 'shite.' In other words you have to understand communication before you can even attempt 'criticism'.

The next trick, for those blogs that do aim at something that pretends to more than communication with friends and collegues, is to develop standards appropriate to the medium you are evaluating. Not every medium is the same or has the same standards.

And so on...

And I suggest that your barrel metaphor is inappropriate. The Internet is not like a barrel (or a pipe or a highway come to that). The only thing that obscures what you want to see is a lack of effort in finding it. Nobody forces you to look at blogs you don't want to see. And there is, incidentally, more 'good' stuff accessible to more people now because of the Internet, whatever you evaluate as 'good'.

And in the meantime, whilst you blunder around in this new and unknown part of town, muttering and cursing at the terrible proles all around you, the proles are getting on communicating, learning, having fun in ways that were not open to them in previous decades or centuries, whether you think that what they are doing is artistically worthy or not.

That, my friend, is progress.

FM, you're a decent sort of chap with very good intentions, but I'm really sorry to have to tell you this... and it's really not the sort of thing that is acceptable here.....

...but you've convinced me and I've changed my mind :ohmy: (YES, you heard it here first... CC'er changes mind).
I might still gently rib bloggers, and bloggers and their blogs should not be above criticism and occasional piss-takes, but I better understand their value.
I think I need to lie down now.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Fab Foodie said:
...but you've convinced me and I've changed my mind :biggrin: (YES, you heard it here first... CC'er changes mind).
I might still gently rib bloggers, and bloggers and their blogs should not be above criticism and occasional piss-takes, but I better understand their value.
I think I need to lie down now.

Ha. Soon everyone will love Big Blogger (thanks, Allen!) :biggrin: You should seriously try a Xingu BTW - the Brazilian black lager I was mentioning earlier. Now that is something that will be worth thanking me for! :ohmy:

Brock

Brazilian black lager.. Are you mad?

Why drink beer imported all the way from 'exotic Brazil' when we have so many fine ales of our own? I suggest Gadd's old faithful Dogbolter from the Ramsgate brewery as a wonderful local alternative. Support OUR beer industry.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Brock said:
Why drink beer imported all the way from 'exotic Brazil' when we have so many fine ales of our own?

Because I am in Brazil?! Yes, that could be it...

Currently, it is my local beer. Brewed, indeed, in Parana state.

Brock

Flying_Monkey said:
Because I am in Brazil?! Yes, that could be it...

Currently, it is my local beer. Brewed, indeed, in Parana state.

Well... Yes but.. er ....oh.
I suppose that's ok then. xx(

By the way, some good reviews of your Brazilian beverage here on the excellent Oxford bottled beer database. :biggrin:

Top Bottom