How does this chainset come off ?!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbrook

Veteran
I've removed Shimano Hollowtech chainsts, FSA self extracting crank sets but I've no idea how this comes off!
It's a FSA mega exo chainset and the bottom bracket is press fit. There is an Allen key fitting in both the drive side and non drive side albeit the non drive side is beneath a metal cover by the look of it.
I've tried to turn both sides with plenty of force the traditional way, anti clockwise to loosen but they are not budging. The bike is only a few months old so I can't imagine they are seized in any way.
Anyone any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1785.JPG
    IMG_1785.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1786.JPG
    IMG_1786.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
The bike has been cleaned since this photo btw!

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
Yes googled it and saw that video, but that's the self extracting chainset which mine appears not to be. Thanks anyway

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
Although the metal cover on the nds crankarm is round there is an Allen nut under there albeit smaller than the drive side. The round metal cover doesn’t seem to pop off. The bottom bracket is pressfit 503388

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
If I don’t sort it I’m taking it to the LBS tomorrow, he owes me a favour so I’ll update this thread when I know

The two in-focus photos shows a standard crank bolt. Just unscrew it and see what you find.

The out-of-focus picture shows a captive bolt. This means that you stick an allen key through the hole in the captive cap to engage with a bolt inside. That bolt will then unscrew normal lefty-loosey. After a few turns it will hit the outside captive cap and the turn-out will become noticeably harder. Don't worry, just keep on turning. The bolt will then push the bike off the bolt, since the bolt can't come out.

With some of the genius-designed cranks you have to make a short spacer and insert it inside, and then do the bolt up again so that it pushes the crank off. But before we get there, do the above first and let's see.

Take the chain off before you start. Or at least get it off of the chainrings. Then release the standard bolt on the chainring / drive side ( loosey lefty ). Tap the Chainset off with a mallet ( tap the crank not the rings ). Then tap the exposed spindle until it levels with the BB bearing. Then tap the NDS crank until the spindle with the NDS crank attached comes out.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
This is an odd chainset to deal with. Remove the allen bolt that is in the chainset side and then use a standard crank extractor to remove the drive side of the chainset. The left side will then just come out as one piece as it's a captive left side.

To refit just put the left side into the bike, then fit the drive side onto it and then use the allen bolt to tighten it back up.

Edit: I have the same crankset at home that I took off a bike I no longer have - I really am not a fan of it at all - and I can post some photos of it disassembled later when I get home if that's helpful to you.

Last edited:
I can confirm that si_c is exactly right. I took it to the LBS this morning, he'd never seen one before. Remove Allen nut drive side, crank puller to remove, push through the NDS.

Many thanks everyone
I prefer using a hammer to get the drive side off, that’s because I like hitting stuff with hammers. I have this sort of crankset on my hybrid. I like any excuse to hit it with my mallet.

Top Bottom