1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does this panier work?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by kittyhen, 27 Feb 2008.

1. kittyhen

kittyhen New Member

Hi there,
    I am total newbie when it comes to this cycling lark, am just starting out with an easy commute to and from work.

I saw this bag posted in another thread and was completly confused over how it actually attaches to the bike?

http://probikekit.com/display.php?code=b3000

all help appreciated :smile:

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Looks similar to the Ortlieb system. When you lift the handle, you release the two clasps that you can see on the top rail. You then hook the bottom around the rack while lowering it onto the rack and let go of the handle, the top clasps then grip the top rail of the rack.

I'm guessing your probably even more confused now, but don't worry, it is very easy once you see it in action.

3. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

that's cheap

slightly too small what I need mind

4. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

You carry your ego in your panniers? ;)

5. P.H

P.H Über Member

The larger ones are still only £36
    http://probikekit.com/display.php?code=b3006

A friend recently bought some, fantastic value, they look like they're built to last.

6. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

wink off

I only wish there was room, work clothes, lunch, a few bits and bobs for the bike, lock and cable, and some stuff for evening classes don't leave much room

I'm hopefully eyeing a rack back recommended on another thread by waffley, hoping it's big enough and solid enough, panniers

egos are good things surely

7. kittyhen

kittyhen New Member

so does that mean they come with a rack or can you fit a standard one?

8. Shaun

Shaun Founder Staff Member

You should be able to use them with any standard rack.

I recently bought some panniers for my commuter and was worried about whether they would fit my rack, but found that you can move the pannier left and right on the rack to adjust the fitting to suit. The horizontal plastic bar at the bottom slides over the upright of the rack and stops the bag flapping outwards.

Although don't make the same mistake that I did. I slid the bottom plastic bar across to a comfortable fit, then forget to tighten the securing screw and lost the bar in thick home-time traffic on the first night using the panniers. ;)

9. mikeitup

mikeitup Senior Member

Wooo!

Thanks to this thread I have just ordered a pair of these very nice looking panniers for £33.99!! :tongue: ;)

Will let you know what I think when I get em.

10. mikeitup

mikeitup Senior Member

re:

used my MSX Mainstream panniers on my 7 mile each way commute today. Plus some shopping on the way home. All in torrential rain. I got soaked. The stuff in my panniers didn't. :smile:

11. Plax

Plax Veteran

I was very very tempted by them. Glad they are a good buy. I already have some cheap panniers though and only use them for commuting to work. They are perfectly adequate for that so I have no excuses :becool:.

12. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

You paid that much? :smile:

Their down to £27 now!

13. mikeitup

mikeitup Senior Member