Votes: 35 67.3%
  • Velo/Velo Club

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Cycle Racing Club/Team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just curious. My first was a Roads Club, then an 'RC' that nobody quite knew whether it stood for Road Club or Recreation Club, then a conventional CTC offshoot Road Club, currently a Cycling Club.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's a BUG, but according current conventions, that's wrong because it's for a borough and Bike User Groups are meant to be centred on workplaces. Oh well, do different, as they say nearby!

That said, I think Stourbug are similar.

oldroadman

Veteran
Names have all kinds of origins. The Bath Road Club for instance has nothing to do with Bath and everything to do with the road from London going west (the A4) which was a famous time trialling route last century. Obvious ones are like Kirkby CC (area of Liverpool), CC whatever. Some are even named after the place where they were founded, like Archer Road Club (apparently founded in a bike shop in Archer Road, Bayswater, London. The road is now not in existence in London W2, at least not on Google. There's one in SE25). then there are the "different" names. Shop "teams" a good example. Let 'em imagine they are quasi pros, no harm dreaming I suppose. Reality bites when the racing starts! I started in a RC/CC based on a town name. Probably going back to it as old age creeps on.... The bottom line is that providing people are riding and racing, all is good. ^_^

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Names have all kinds of origins. The Bath Road Club for instance has nothing to do with Bath and everything to do with the road from London going west (the A4) which was a famous time trialling route last century. ...

North Devon CC were until recently Barnstaple Imperial Wheelers—named because they met at the Imperial Hotel there. CS Dynamo are determinedly non-geographic, but based in Exmouth.

Sharky

Guru
I think that the origin of "Road Club" stems from clubs that rode/raced on the roads, rather than on the track. Might have originated in the days pre cars.

Firestorm

Veteran
I haven't been in a club, but my family were years ago.
My grandparents met when they Rode for Rosslyn Ladies and University, both CC,s . Mum was in the Buccanneers and Dad the Penguin , again CC,s.
The Buccs merged with Rapier in the 70,s to form Redbridge CC

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Velo Club Venta. The Venta comes from Winchester's roman name 'Venta Belgarum', with Venta translated variously as meeting place, town or market. My guess is that it was picked for the symmetry of VCV.

The kit is quite cool as well IMO - a stylised round table.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The only club that would have me was Seamons CC of Manchester (back in my late teens). So called for Seamons Moss, an area of land near Oldfield Brow in Altrincham, where the club was founded in the Community Centre.

Top Bottom