How easy is it to change a Rear Derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icebergx

Hi,

I had a bit of an accident earlier and ended up flat on my arse. Nothing to bad, just a badly grazed elbow and some light bruising but I managed to pick myself up.
Once I'd dusted myself down, I got back on my bike ... but not for long.
After riding for five minutes or so and cycling through the gears, my rear wheel locked up and chain came off. After closer inspection it appeared the Rear Derailluer had snapped close to the point where it attaches to the rear wheel.

Is this an easy part to replace by a relative novice like me?
I have a C Boardman Urban Pro 08 bike with an SRAM Derailleur.

Thanks.

BigSteev

It's not the easiest operation, but it is manageable. You should get specific instructions for setting up the particular model that you have with it, or they should be available on the company's website. As a general overview of what's involved try http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
If that all sounds too complicated you might be better off getting your LBS to do it.

Removing and re-attaching the rear derailleur is not particularly difficult: it usually only requires a couple of allen keys. But once the new one is on you have to adjust the cable tension just right, so that it changes smoothly through all the gears. The end stop bolts also have to be set right so that the mech. doesn't go too far either direction (if you let it go too far in it will rip out the spokes).

You will usually need to break the chain (some derailleurs have an 'open' cage through which you can thread the chain without opening it, but this is not usual). If your chain does not have a quick link (e.g. Sram powerlink) you will need a chain rivet tool. This needs to be used with care.

It could be the rear mech hanger that has gone and not the mech itself - if thats the case all you need is a replacement hanger specific to the bike.

gbb

Legendary Member
It's do-able, but not easy for the inexperienced. There are some good clips on YouTube to take you through it. Its a good skill to learn...and it does get easier once you know how.
Also, beware you hanger isnt bent. (assuming yours has one) Its the alloy plate between your derailleur and the frame. If its bent even slightly, you'll have a devils job setting the new derailleur up.

Top Bottom