How expensive to change the steerer on forks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
It seems that the supply of decent 1" threaded forks for 26" wheels has all but dried up, which is hardly surprising given that full rigid MTBs were a bit old had 20 years ago :smile: This does mean though that my entire bike would become unusable should something happen to the forks, which plays on my mind every now and again.

So my question is, how feasible would it be to buy a set of 1 1/8th forks and get the steerer tube swapped for a 1" one? I guess it just takes a bit of welding, but I fear I may be missing some crucial aspect to do with load bearing, stress and alignment. Or would it be as easy to swap the steerer tube on the bike to 1 1/8? Thoughts?

Firstly why do you think it may need some action taking on it? Theres lots of bikes 20+ years old still happily being used on their original forks.
I wouldn't change and weld up the steerer. But then my welding is mediocre to crap at best. It's a high stress area and it would have to be very accurately lined up, If it was at a slight angle or an offset it would ruin the steering and feel.
If its a lugged frame I'd think swapping out the steerer tube is probably more feasible, but with having then to repaint it too would make it a pricey option. A new frame and swap over components may be a better option.
Or N+1 as it seems you're attached to it, and just ride it on those leisurely rides out when you can take it easy and enjoy it. Use the new one for the grotty stuff.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Cheers - the threads on the steerer are a bit worn - some bits of metal came off when I changed the headset a few months back, but it's been rock-solid since. I know I've ridden it with the old headset loose, but I suspect it had been ridden like that for some time. It seems ok - the thread is a narrow pitch after all - but it will get loose again at some point I guess and there might not be enough thread left next time.

Painting is not a problem as it needs painting anyway - hopefully it will get done at some point before next winter. Properly painted that is, not touched up with almost-but-not-quite the right colour :smile:

It just seems a shame that I might at some point have to scrap it for what should be a replaceable item. I guess I could keep an eye on eBay for appropriate bits or a donor as I'm in no hurry.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just go around some proper bike shops and glance up at the ceiling where you will see dozens of old unwanted forks hanging, just waiting for someone like you to walk in.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Just go around some proper bike shops and glance up at the ceiling where you will see dozens of old unwanted forks hanging, just waiting for someone like you to walk in.
I asked in my local 'this is like a bike collectors garage' bike shop and he said, in summary, that you can only get rubbish ones now. I suppose rubbish would hold the wheel in place if I needed some in a hurry though.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru

I have one of those already to allow me to use an ahead stem (because I couldn't find a quill stem that worked for me) but the issue is that the thread on the actual forks that holds them in place is damaged. Most forks now are 1 1/8 diameter, which won't fit on my bike as it has a 1" steerer. The adaptors you link to the convert that 1" to 1 1/8 once the forks have passed through the frame iyswim?

I am going to remove the front tube on an aluminium frame I have to convert it to 1 1/8" as I want to put disc forks on to it. i will make a jig up to make ensure the new tube goes in straight. I will also replace the drop outs with ones I will make for discs. It would be easier and maybe cheaper to buy a new frame, but where is the fun in that? I have a bit of an advantage over most people wanting to do something similar because I am a cnc machinest and do stuff like this everyday.

It would be very easy to remove the steerer from a fork and replace it with a smaller one, you would need to have a new steerer machined, but because you would be inserting it in a hole alignment would be pretty much spot on. This was my plan B.

Bodhbh

Guru
If you can't get the forks, I'm sure you'd get a donor bike easy enuff off eBay for not much. Absolute worst case scenario - not that I'm suggesting it - if you really really love that bike - is a frame builder will knock up a bespoke one for 200-250 quid.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I am going to remove the front tube on an aluminium frame I have to convert it to 1 1/8" as I want to put disc forks on to it. i will make a jig up to make ensure the new tube goes in straight. I will also replace the drop outs with ones I will make for discs. It would be easier and maybe cheaper to buy a new frame, but where is the fun in that? I have a bit of an advantage over most people wanting to do something similar because I am a cnc machinest and do stuff like this everyday.
If you can't get the forks, I'm sure you'd get a donor bike easy enuff off eBay for not much. Absolute worst case scenario - not that I'm suggesting it - if you really really love that bike - is a frame builder will knock up a bespoke one for 200-250 quid.

That's it - it's not that I especially love this bike or anything, it's just a bike, but it would be a shame for it to be cast aside for want of a pair of forks. @Martin Archer - if I had your skills I'd be sorted :smile: @Bodhbh I think keeping half an eye on eBay to stock up on bits might be the route I take :smile:

1" Threaded is indeed extinct. Sourcing headsets and stems is a problem. Why not search for a threadless fork now because down the line you'll have to find a 1" threaded headset and then you are back to square 1.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I replaced the headset with a Tange-Seiki Falcon (with cartridge bearings no less) a few months back. That was when I noticed the thread on the forks was worn. I can get the forks off eBay but the only ones I can see are Hi-Ten steel and heavier than mine, which are Cro-Mo. That said the disc mount obviously weighs something so maybe that's the difference. Seems a downgrade to go for heavier and less good quality steel though.

Thanks for your link @Globalti Interesting you can get carbon in 1"! I am after steel one with a curve though.

Top Bottom