How far can I cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rabbitthekitten

I commute to work every day which is 5 miles each way which takes me 20 mins. I have been doing this for 18 months now. I know I can do 20 miles no problem as I did it once but I took my time. I have also done 40 miles in the gym on an exercise bike, that took me about 90 mins. I don't know if that would have any baring on actual cycling though. I want to start going out on my new road bike but have no idea what sort of distance to go, I don't want to plan a ride and and get half way there and die from exhaustion. Any tips would be helpful. :-)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
How's about 50 miles?. Leave yourself more time than you expect to need, take some food and drink or stop at a couple of cafes or something. Take it steady, you won't die from exhaustion.

If you plan a big loop around where you live, or ride past a station at the 30 mile point or something you can bail out early. You almost certainly won't need to though.

ACS

Legendary Member
If you are a speed demon then 30m at a brisk pace, 50m at a more stately speed should be achievable with comfort. Make sure that you always go out into any wind, pedalling into wind when you are tired is very soul-destroying, take fluids, put a gel in your pocket just in case and enjoy.

OP
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

You really think I could go as far as that? It seems really far. Seems like a bit of a challenge, I like this idea. :-)

Rabbitthekitten said:
You really think I could go as far as that? It seems really far. Seems like a bit of a challenge, I like this idea. :-)
You'd be surprised what you can do, its just getting over that mental barrier. I'd opt for a figure of 8 route initially so you can bail if things are not right. After more rides however I'd opt for a loop so when you are say 25 miles out, you've got to push on to get home.

jimboalee

Cyclingpower.jpg

Here's that chart again.

5 miles in 20 minutes. That's 15 mph but prob 18.something riding speed. 18.something is approx 30 kmh and roundabouts 175 Watts on an average road bike.

So put a marker on the chart at 175 Watts and 20 minutes.

Now draw a line that is in ratio with NASA 'Healthy men'. That is where you are at the moment.

You are not going to keep the 18 mph riding speed for any length ride. Your line says for a 180 minute ride, you should ride at 90ish Watts, which is about 14 mph. Your overall average will be dependent on how many junction stops there are.

A good Audaxer will have his/her line right on or above the NASA 'healthy men' line on the chart.
Mine is slightly below.

ACS

Legendary Member
Rabbitthekitten said:

It's not that far if its planned correctly, stick to local roads, lots of options, figure 8 loop is a cracking' suggestion, make sure you know where the cafes are in case you need to take a comfort break. Check the weather for wind direction and know in advance of any lumpy bits that may need to be conquered. Use something like BikeHike / Googlemaps to get an overview. You have some mileage in your legs so it’s a mental thing.

It’s not a race after all it’s a personal challenge.

OP
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Ok, that chart is a little confusing to a newbie like me. But I figure I'm not as healthy as I could be. :tongue: I'll try and figure out a a figure 8 route and that BikeHike site looks really good. Thanks. :-D

Just pick a destination, cycle to it, find a church with a bench, thats what I do. Then up the distance after a few trips. Cyclestreets will indicate what sort of terrain you'll be facing so you don't go from 20 miles relatively flat to 30 miles and some major hills
The exercise bike won't match the surrounding countryside or at least not to the west as that's a variable selection of hills hence why I'm more likely to head west from Coalville towards Warwickshire or go to Leicester via Kirkby Muxloe than via Markfield and Groby.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
As you are so fast I can't see why you couldn't do 50 miles even if you have to drop the pace slightly. A lot of it is in the mind so do 30,40, 50 if that's what it takes to get there.

jimboalee

ian turner said:
Just pick a destination, cycle to it, find a church with a bench, thats what I do. Then up the distance after a few trips. Cyclestreets will indicate what sort of terrain you'll be facing so you don't go from 20 miles relatively flat to 30 miles and some major hills
The exercise bike won't match the surrounding countryside or at least not to the west as that's a variable selection of hills hence why I'm more likely to head west from Coalville towards Warwickshire or go to Leicester via Kirkby Muxloe than via Markfield and Groby.

and prey to high Heaven I have enough strength to cycle home.

Top Bottom