How far can you go with a badly knackered BB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I've only had to clean it and lube it and change a couple of rubber bits so far, the bike owes me absolutely nothing. This is the first mechanical job I've had to do on this bike. It's been a complete trooper so far :thumbsup:

Well good for you. For me I don't look at cycling as a zero cost option. Everything has a cost. Components and consumables do wear out so there is a cost to maintain and replace them or a whole bike unless you never use your bike. There is no free lunch imho.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
One of these days all of my bikes will kick me in the nuts at the same time, it hasn't happened yet, but I'm not getting complacent:becool:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I got my Fuji Touring bike through most of a season, but the chainrings were already worn, the spindle was going bad, and the fixed cup on the BB was seized. Provided plenty of hours wintertainment. I had to remove the moveable cup and knock the spindle out, seperating it from the crank spider after removing the chainrings, then I had to go to the Sheldon Brown fixed cup removal method, with a 5/8" bolt, 6 big lockwashers, and 2 5/8" nuts, after soaking the cup for a weekend in penetrating oil. So yeah, i'll be splurging for the sealed BB. I already had a replacement crank, as I wasn't getting along with the step and a half plus granny gearing a lot of old touring bikes came with.

Top Bottom