Votes: 372 26.3%
  • 11-15 miles

Votes: 297 21.0%
  • 16-20 miles

Votes: 167 11.8%
  • >20 miles

Votes: 252 17.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At the moment its 15.5 miles (12 miles busway) into central Cambridge in the morning and 13.5 miles home at night. I take the longer route in the morning to avoid all the one ways, traffic lights and congestion. If I go through town it's the same cycle time. At night the one ways are in my favour and I can mostly by pass the congestion on a straight route.

ExpatTyke

Yorkshireman in Deepest Somerset
I do about 16 miles each way. I could cut it down to 12 miles, but that would mean riding almost the entire way on A roads, and having to cross two roundabouts on motorway junctions.

18 miles each way at the moment + 26miles each way in the car. The busway is flooded and shut under the A14 which is making a bit too much of a diversion at the moment so I've only did it twice this year as I didn't fancy new diversions in the dark and at least its light now in the morning. Takes me between 1h 1min and 1h 8mins but I have to work for that. With an FTP test coming up on Thursday night I am back on the crowded bus for now so I can recover and get back in time to do the test :-/

MarkF

Guru
I'm 'lucky' to be a key worker, so hopefully even if the lockdown becomes more restrictive I'll get my 16+ miles each way in when shifts allow.

I am lucky too, I'd given up cycling in Bradford but now the A3/Leons & Golfs are off the roads I've started cycle commuting again. Not one incident all last week.:okay:

Mike_P

Guru
Had the week off so just braved putting the work mobile on to look at CV19 related messages and saw one saying now we are all working at home so presumably also now nil unless on reading more on Monday there is a need to collect stuff from the office, a properly working laptop would be good but until that looks like a lot of time waiting for the current one to do something, now where could I pass that time...

I can beat that. I commute 4 metres. That involves putting bike on patio. Doing some turboing. Then putting bike away again.
My 'cycling' generally involves, jumping out of bed, stepping into the hallway and jumping on the TT bike which is now permanently fitted to the turbore. If I am feeling energetic I'll walk 25ft for breakfast first. This was today's effort: View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46324220

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I am lucky too, I'd given up cycling in Bradford but now the A3/Leons & Golfs are off the roads I've started cycle commuting again. Not one incident all last week.:okay:
I've cycled in Bradford a few times in recent years, generally to/from my parents & never had any issues, but admittedly I stay well away from the centre 😊 The A165 into Hull has its moments, but I can cope with an occasional close pass & that's about as bad as it gets for me

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've cycled in Bradford a few times in recent years, generally to/from my parents & never had any issues, but admittedly I stay well away from the centre 😊 The A165 into Hull has its moments, but I can cope with an occasional close pass & that's about as bad as it gets for me

Bradford is no different to any other large city. There are areas with busy roads and poor driving, but if one picks their route it's perfectly fine.

MarkF

Guru
Bradford is no different to any other large city. There are areas with busy roads and poor driving, but if one picks their route it's perfectly fine.

It is, look at points per license (2nd in UK), highest insurance premium areas (BD dominated) and you are twice as likely to be involved in a collison with an uninsured driver than anyhwere else. It's a joy to be able to cycle without shredded nerves through BD9.

Top Bottom