How far in one day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amedias

It's not such a great distance to many, while it might not be common among your peers there are hundreds (thousands?) of people all over the country Audaxing most weekends. A 200k ride is 'normal', 300s and 400s are hard work but still not unsual, 600k+ generally reserved for the committed though ;-)

I sneak in the odd 200-300k ride whenever I have the the time, did a pair of 200s the week before last as well as normal commuting and mid-week rides, not meaning to blow my own trumpet as I still remember when I managed my first 100k ride and felt like I was going to die, but it is really all about what you're used to.

With regard to the speeds, well it's very route dependant.... on a hilly (they all are round here) 200k with ~2500-3000m climbing my moving average is normally in the 14.5-15.5mph region depending on the exact profile and weather/fitness. Give me a flatter ride though and I'll solo it at 16+mph, get some strong clubmates together and (depending on the mates) 18+mph isn't out of the question over that distance.

Fixed/SS doesn't necessarily end up slower either, I mean it can do on some routes, but again it's all about the elevation profile (and which way the wind is blowing!). My fastest rides have been geared, and so have my slowest. When you've only got the one gear you pretty much have to ride at a fair output, so you invariably put in decent speed if your gear is well matched to you and the route.

I think the bell curve distribution of fitness levels is skewed compared to in the past, but I don't think the peaks are any higher or lower if you know what I mean. There are fit and active people now as well as inactive, but the baseline activity levels as a population have probably decreased to the point that some efforts that were once perceived as normal now appear abnormal, if you get what I mean?

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Currently in training for an 'extreme' sportive in Wales (Double Devils) that is 100 miles with 3000 metres of climbing and some pretty nasty 20-25% sections. Did it with my geared bike last year but contemplating doing it SS (not fixed) this year. Ride is in June, so will depend how training goes, but would love to do it SS if I feel I have a chance.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
My parents did " 24 hour Reliabilty rides " on a regular basis in the 50's and they did 200+ miles min on each one they did , cyclist's were cyclist's in those days .

What with no alloy or carbon frames mostly ridden single or fixed gearing all steel frames you were lucky to have alloy rims and tubs with brakes that were shocking compared to modern one's , ok a lot less traffic and very little cycling specific clothing

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I was having a conversation with an old boy I'm friendly with, and the conversation somehow got on to the younger generation being lazy and unwilling to go anywhere under their own power. Out of the blue, he casually mentions that around 1954 him and a mate, then still both teenagers, rode SS Fixed bikes on a day trip totalling.....216 miles. 108 miles each way, a bit over 6 hours for the outbound trip and 8 hours to get back. I put the A and B points in a route planner and it came back as 106 miles e/w, so I'm inclined to believe it isn't BS. When I asked him what he was riding he equally casually says a lightweight racing frame with 52/13 - as it was the biggest gearing he could find!. Even today with bikes having 20 or more ratios to choose from, I reckon even the most dedicated riders would baulk at doing that distance in a single day, let alone on a SS bike with a gearing of over 100 inches! He did say though the following day his thighs had swollen and he had trouble getting his trousers on when he got up so he ended up going to the doctor's.

WOW! Mind you, they were tougher in those days, and had no fat so probably weighed about 7 stone each... I'm rubbish, I get cramp in my thighs after about 25 miles.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I wonder if people back then rode their bikes rather than read about them on internet forums.

I'd say it was highly likely

GuyBoden

Guru
Last years Cheshire ride with Colin, I clocked the 130 mile mark on my fixed Boardman. Both me and the bike coped perfectly with varied terrain and conditions. I will be doing the same again with the gang,cracking ride !

I think that @ColinJ should add the Swettenham ford into his marvellous Cheshire Ride. We went straight past it last year.

staffs_trip_oct_2013_017033-jpg.jpg

Top Bottom