How far in one day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure what bikes they were riding, but in the early 1930s when an auntie and uncle of mine would have been in their 20s they said the used to ride from Sheffield, where they lived............ to Scarborough .......................and back........on the same day !!!! which is about 180miles................I was very impressed by this, the story was told to me when I said i'd cycled to Scarborough myself, just getting there........... in one day from Sheffield was enough for me !!! and I was in my early 20s also................
were they married at the time? If not could it have been a ploy to explain their somewhat disheveled appearance on "arriving" back in Sheff?
Either way am impressed, and by the OP.

Nitram72

Sat in the pub after doing 105 miles with 8200 feet of climbing on 49*19..

Beer can't stop the pain in my thighs....1:8 out of aveton Gifford at 95 miles.... Was screaming at the top....

2nd century in 3 weeks.... Trying to get fit...

Did 160 miles plus mega mega loaded non stop last summer - south London to Dunwich, then on to a bivvy near a dual carriageway in Caister, Norfolk. More recently did just under 140 miles from Wolverhampton to the Ribble Valley loaded on the same 26 inch wheel exped bike, though not as much loading. Second ride possibly tougher as a lot of the route was on varying degrees of off road and there was a fair bit of climbing towards the end. Made it thanks to my usual long ride drugs of Lidl's wine gums and choco peanuts and stops in fields to make double espressos. If someone comes up with a team T shirt promoting these I would be first in line. Oh and Lidl packaged sugary breakfast goods. Oh and a wetherspoons special offer mixed grill and two pints of finest Caramel Stout.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They would have been on the A roads back then. Flatter, less junctions can make a big different to your average on a pot holed gravelly back lane.
Good point there. When I started club riding in the sixties we would think nothing of riding part of a club run along the A127 or the A12 out of London and riding two abreast all the way. They were smooth, fast and fairly flat roads on which time trial records had been set. I wouldn't now dream of riding on either of those roads, even on a Sunday they are brimming with high speed traffic and uncomfortably dangerous. Cyclists are now pushed onto the lumpier back roads.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My legs say fixed is actually better than gears over a long ride, and my watch says it's faster. My theory is that the former is due to lower weight, lower rpm and better elimination of waste products from constantly-moving legs. The latter is also due to lower weight but also because of the discipline of "keeping on top of" a fixed gear.

mangid

Guru
My legs say fixed is actually better than gears over a long ride, and my watch says it's faster. My theory is that the former is due to lower weight, lower rpm and better elimination of waste products from constantly-moving legs. The latter is also due to lower weight but also because of the discipline of "keeping on top of" a fixed gear.

I'm the opposite, summer months I'll average 18mph for a century on the fixed on a good day. On the plastic special I'll be pushing close to 20, and occasionally reach the magic number. I can maintain 24 on the flat on the fixed for a while, I think that's about a cadence of 120. More comfortable is 100 which is 20, that I can keep doing that on the level for a while. I can go faster for longer at 100 on the geared bike.

Top Bottom