Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Final

• Winners

• Can't stand football but I have a big gob and must tell everybody

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darkstar

Greedo said:
Good to see 5 complete nutters on the board. Finalists and Winners :biggrin:
Already beaten Scotland, so i'm happy :angry: Suppose they came in at -group stage on that list:thumbsup:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I reckon they will get to the quarter finals and then blow out.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Greedo said:
Good to see 5 complete nutters on the board. Finalists and Winners :biggrin:

eh? I was just pointing out that most other countries don't seem to have this attitude to international football. Spain used to as well, but that was largely due to regional politics.

My view is that England will go out on the quarters. They are too limited up front, don't have a world class goalkeeper and play their real gamechanging player (Gerard) out of position.

looe

As we are not in it (Sweden) i keep my fingers crossed for England to go far.......if England fail this is going to be a moaning country for weeks on end

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think they may surprise us. This is the first tournament I can ever remember where we are going in without unrealistic expectations which tend to transmit themselves to the players and lead to overconfidence. The weather in SA will suit the English high tempo style which is normally a disadvantage in hot summer climates, and for the first time in decades we have a manager who isn't a twat.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I can't see England going past the quarter finals either in terms of (a) the draw and likely games further on (;) the squad (c) past history and experience of the players in world cups.

darkstar

marinyork said:
I can't see England going past the quarter finals either in terms of (a) the draw and likely games further on (;) the squad (c) past history and experience of the players in world cups.
Hmmm England are likely to come up against France in the q/f, aren't they? Which is very winnable from my perspective. It's Brazil in the semi which will be the tricky one!

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
I was extremely optimistic about 6 months ago, when Defore was scoring fun, Barry and Lampard and Gerrard were playing well. Then Defoe's goals dry up, Capello picks Heskey and Jamie F"cking Carragher and drops Theo. Is it in the England manager's contract he has to pick Heskey? I can see us huffing and puffing to get out of the group, then falling apart at the first real challenge. :-(

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Heskey is there to add a bit of balance to the squad. I doubt he will start many games, but there are teams who don't cope well with a big bustling type of old fashioned centre forward and I think Capello has him in mind for those games. Better to have different options available than just more of the same.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
Smokin Joe said:
Heskey is there to add a bit of balance to the squad. I doubt he will start many games, but there are teams who don't cope well with a big bustling type of old fashioned centre forward and I think Capello has him in mind for those games. Better to have different options available than just more of the same.

Heskey is so old and overwight these days, Boris Johnson would be a greater threat. He hasn't scored a goal in a competitive competion since Feb. I concede that Bent has not performed very well in an England shirt, but you can not question his prem goal stats.

Top Bottom