How far without food?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amaferanga

Veteran
Trouble is the country roads I would like to try cycling only have the odd burger van and no facilities to top up my water. Would you consider 20mph on a flat a bit too high a pace to maintain over long distance?

I've never seen a burger van on a country road, only ever on busy A roads.

There aren't many parts of the UK where it's difficult to plan a route with a town or village after 30 miles or so where you can top up on water or food. But for 60 miles or so it should be easy enough to carry all you need - a few bits of soreen or a few muesli bars in your back pocket and one or two bottles.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you need to top up water then you can always knock on someone's door. I have done that a few times and have never been refused.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If you need to top up water then you can always knock on someone's door. I have done that a few times and have never been refused.
I recall something about a little known hidden law in this area, if you knock a door and ask they cannot refuse and on the whole unless you chance upon a devout cycle-hater most won't say no.

It probably dates back to 1756 or something though lol

When I go on rides of about 60miles I don't take food but if I'm going on a longer ride, I top up with food every 20 miles or so (bananas and cereal bars) and usually eat on the go, on yesterdays 133miler however, I stopped after 58miles for a bacon and egg roll and again 93 miles at the Tullybannochar cafe for a Scone :smile:
599632_10150977400329482_1165760893_n.jpg

amaferanga

Veteran
Btw there's nothing big and clever about not eating on a ride. As the saying goes, 'recovery starts on the bike'. You've got to replenish a good chunk of those calories some time and if you eat while on the bike and immediately after then you'll recover quicker. If you're just a pootler or a 2 times a week rider then it matters less, but of you ride a lot and/or train properly then going into a huge calorie deficit during a ride is not a good idea.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
When I did the Manchester Blackpool ride a few weeks ago I did the 10 miles to the start at av 22mph then the 62 miles to Blackpool at av 19mph. I had porridge and coffee for breakfast then burgers and beer when I got to blackpool with just water in between. I can't say this is the right policy but I only started to feel a bit weak in the last 3-4 miles. I then rode another 64 miles home with just nuts and a few cereal bars. IMO if you are half fit and have a good diet with no other health issues you can probably go a long, long way without eating?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
How far can you reasonably expect to cycle for without food? For me I am tired after about 30 miles. What do people do on 100 milers? Its kind of difficult to carry a full british breky on a bicycle. I would like to do longer rides but dont think I could go any further without an energy boost. I dont suppose burger vans are ideal.
Apols RLTS, but it never ceases to amaze me that people find there's some mystique to eating when cycling, it's really not rocket science, unless you're racing and can't stop ... eat what you like! In the UK you're never far from somewhere that sells food, (burger + Coke are actually good fuel for long rides) eat what you fancy and what you find readily digestible. Just keep eating and drinking from the start and you should be OK. Furthermore, you don't need to carry Litres of water either, carry 1 bottle and keep topping-up as required. Like Ian, I have also knocked on somebody's door for a refil. and never been refused.
I would add a caveat that in your tool kit you always carry something for emergencies, a gel bar/oat bar. Even if you don't need it someday somebody will.
If it helps, things I find good when cycling:

Jelly babies
Dextrosol
Flapjack
Beef Jerky
Pepperami
Burger and Coke for lunch
Bacon Butties
Pork Pies
Cake
Malt loaf
Crisps
Supermarket Sandwiches
Donuts
Bananas

Espresso
Double espresso
Double espresso machiato
Coke
Red Bull + Fruit juice
Cheap supermarket bottle water + Nuun hydration tab and dextrosol

Recovery drinks:
Milk + Nesquick
Beer
Red Wine.

Simples ....

riggsbie

Coffee and Recumbent Trikes.......
Top tips !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fab Foodie

IMO if you are half fit and have a good diet with no other health issues you can probably go a long, long way without eating?
Err not really.... depends
The bodies main sources of fuel are Glycogen (carbohydrate) and Fat. Most people have a similar amount of stored glycogen enough for a few hours high intensity excercise. But unless we're flat-out we burn some fat alongside the Glycogen, the ratio is partly dependent on fitness and also the amount of effort. For example at long day touring pace you'll burn a higher ratio of fat, so the glycogen lasts longer, at Race-pace you'll burn very little fat and you'll deplete ypur glycogen stores in around 2 hours let's say. No glycogen, no perforrmance, you'll bonk, feel lousy and will only be able to pedal slowly. Without fresh carbs you'll soon grind to a halt.
That's why eating from the start of a ride is important, to start topping the glycogen supply from the start, muscles don't burn glucose directly, the convert it to glycogen first then burn it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
....but it never ceases to amaze me that people find there's some mystique to eating when cycling, it's really not rocket science,.......

Err not really.... depends............ at Race-pace you'll burn very little fat and you'll deplete ypur glycogen stores in around 2 hours let's say. No glycogen, no perforrmance, you'll bonk, feel lousy and will only be able to pedal slowly. Without fresh carbs you'll soon grind to a halt.

Who was talking about racing? I am sure the OP and the following comments/suggestions have been discussing leisure riding over intermidiate distances (30-60 miles). I can agree with you that it is not really rocket science (unless you are a pro team rider when there is definitely a LOT of science). As I said, my example isn't suggested as 'the right way', just what works for me but I stand by my claim that a half-fit cyclist will be able to ride a long way without food on a leisure ride. However! Any leisure ride worth doing has got to involve at least one cake stop and if that food purveyor just happened to provide full English breakfasts as well then it would be rude not to :mrpig:

Fab Foodie

Who was talking about racing? I am sure the OP and the following comments/suggestions have been discussing leisure riding over intermidiate distances (30-60 miles). I can agree with you that it is not really rocket science (unless you are a pro team rider when there is definitely a LOT of science). As I said, my example isn't suggested as 'the right way', just what works for me but I stand by my claim that a half-fit cyclist will be able to ride a long way without food on a leisure ride. However! Any leisure ride worth doing has got to involve at least one cake stop and if that food purveyor just happened to provide full English breakfasts as well then it would be rude not to :mrpig:
Ok, now I'm confused, because I think we're agreeing ....
My point in short was that you don't need any special nutrition unless you're racing and I tried to explain why.

Garz

Squat Member
When I first got into cycling it would also have been the thirty mile mark. It does depend on the intensity your riding at and the terrain.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
How far can you reasonably expect to cycle for without food? For me I am tired after about 30 miles. What do people do on 100 milers? Its kind of difficult to carry a full british breky on a bicycle. I would like to do longer rides but dont think I could go any further without an energy boost. I dont suppose burger vans are ideal.
I've done 92 miles without food or water. It's just a question of pacing yourself and not giving in to superficial cravings

Berties

Fast and careful!
Training rides building up always gives you ideas of food requirements,how long you can ride is !down to pace weather or ride terrain ,and of course how much effort you apply,also your build up diet ,if you event in two weeks you can pack sugars and fats two weeks out and carb load a week out ,does this work ?couple of mates of mine on Boltons iron man did good times today ,on this loading,
Don't try this t home but a training ride yesterday I did with no bf,that's really not like me!a handful of jelly babies and a pecan whip 50 miles with one bottle ,felt fine but my food intake has been constant all week, so fuelling up in advance is imperative as the body does store,any more than three hours maybe a no no

Top Bottom