How far without food?

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Former User, 21 Jul 2012.

1. Former User

Former User Guest

How far can you reasonably expect to cycle for without food? For me I am tired after about 30 miles. What do people do on 100 milers? Its kind of difficult to carry a full british breky on a bicycle. I would like to do longer rides but dont think I could go any further without an energy boost. I dont suppose burger vans are ideal.

2. T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T Disc brakes - Stopping things since 1902

Haha burger fans aren't ideal :biggrin:

If the rest of your diet is ok - on average the human body can store enough glycogen for around 2hours of intense exercise, the distance you do would depend on the pace you can hold but could realistically be 40-60miles. What do you typically eat before a ride?

You could take spotty bananas - flapjacks - jam sandwiches - fig rolls(3 of which is equal to 1 High5 energy gel and much cheaper!) or plan a cake stop 40-50 miles in.

3. numbnuts

numbnuts Legendary Member

Bananas and Jordans Breakfast or Frusli bars

4. NotthatJasonKenny

NotthatJasonKenny Faster on HFLC

What's a good and quick breakfast for a 40 miler?

5. T.M.H.N.E.T

Porridge: spice it up however you like. I add bananas,cinnamon and a splash of maple syrup.

6. NotthatJasonKenny

NotthatJasonKenny Faster on HFLC

It's not that quick tho is it, I'm up at 7 and want to be on the road at 7.30 tomorrow. Takes me a while to eat porridge! Guess it is the best so I'll have to get up earlier!

7. T.M.H.N.E.T

3 minutes in the microwave - I pack my bag for work,make coffee and feed the cat in that time.

8. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

OatsSoSimple us your answer.
    I only usually have porridge for pre-ride brekkie in the colder months.
    For warmer months I stick to toast & jam. That will last me for 50+ miles, with maybe a fruit bar on the go.

NotthatJasonKenny likes this.
  9. your body should be able to exercise for about two hours without refuelling...

10. OP
    OP
    Former User

Former User Guest

2 hours is about how long it takes me to do 30 miles or there about. I also used up all my water in that time. All I had to eat before that ride was 2 sausages :hungry: !, although I dont have a typical meal before riding. Trouble is the country roads I would like to try cycling only have the odd burger van and no facilities to top up my water. Would you consider 20mph on a flat a bit too high a pace to maintain over long distance?

11. Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture Internet Marketing bod

Nearly the coolest thing I've heard all day!

Sent from my FondleSlab using Tapatalk HD

12. T.M.H.N.E.T

No doors to knock on and ask for a refill? :smile: The burger van may have water if they are also selling tea and coffee. Your pace over distance is a bit of a personal thing, 20MPH is pretty much my all day pace but yours may be lower or indeed much lower. I don't think you can guage that while eating sausages pre-ride though

A BURGER VAN ON A COUNTRY ROAD??? Do cows enjoy a pastie bap or something??

Tis one of the many services I provide :biggrin: 12 rolls or so in a packet for 50p so close enough to 4gels equivalent of carbs. WIN WIN

13. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

Fig rolls are pro! Trouble is I always end up eating the entire packet (sometimes before I have even got on the bike)! 45p in Sainsbo's...

Andrew_Culture likes this.
  14. Rob500

Rob500 Well-Known Member

Do those burger van emporiums not sell bottled water? They'd probably charge an arm and a leg but at least you'd have some.

I think only you can answer the question regarding 20mph. It would be well beyond me to blast along at 20mph for any length of time.

15. amaferanga

amaferanga Veteran

Oats soaked in natural yoghurt overnight in the fridge then. Saves a few microwaving minutes.

NotthatJasonKenny likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice