How fast are the pros?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geopat

Über Member
Can someone give me an idea of how fast these guys would be going at decent pace on the flat?

Just curious, thanks.

Average speed for the TdF (all stages) is (iirc) about 25mph...:biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
Chuffy said:
Beggars belief really, especially if you actually try to get up to that sort of speed without launching into an out of the saddle sprint. :biggrin:

In a big group you just get sucked along though, it's the guys at the front or in a breakaway that I really admire. Like Millar's one in the London to Canterbury last summer!

stevenb

Good club riders will do22-25mph in a group....it's as Dom syas though...you just get sucked along......I like to ride along with the group and save my energy for the hills where I'll try and form a break away.....as climbing is my better part....hopefully a small group will then follow giving you the chance to recoup energy again and share the front. :biggrin:

OP
OP
geopat

geopat

Über Member
domtyler said:
On the flat, the peleton will be shifting along at around 30mph or so.

Unreal that speed. I did not realise how quick 30mph was until I got my Cateye Comp.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was doing a reliability ride earlier in the year and got absorbed at one stage by a fast group, I was able to move along at 25+ mph with relative ease. After a few miles however riders had been passing on my right and I was getting closer to the back since I wasn't making any special effort to maintain my position. It was easy until the moment I started dropping off the back, then I was back to 20 ish and I never saw them again, and couldn't have if I tried. The amount of assistance you can get in a fair-sized pack (30+ riders in this case) is surprising.

Mortiroloboy

Back last summer coming back from an evening 'shop group' ride, we all made a subconscience decision to up the pace a bit, as we hurtled along, someone in the group glanced down at the computer and in a matter of fact way informed the rest of us that we were going along at 22mph, we were tightly packed as well due to the character of the road, at that sort of speed, you start to wonder what mess you'd end up in (how much skin) you would lose if there was a crash...scary!

When you get into that sort of situation though it's not obvious that you are putting that much effort in, as in, if you were out solo and doing that speed, you would feel the effort much more.

Reading my March copy of 'Le Cycle', there is a bit or reportage of the Tour of Qatar... at the beginning of the season etc - the first stage was completed at an average speed of 55km/h :blush:

I think TdF averages out about 44km/h does it not?

See how slow they would be trying to do your full time job!:biggrin::biggrin::eek::biggrin:

Top Bottom