How fast are the pros?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

As much as you can get 'sucked along' at 25-30mph...its, to me, all in the power and primarily on your own back re: power that you have within you so you HAVE to be able to beat out that power yourself to some degree to hold your own.

In other words.

You should be able to hold that level on your own for some varying degree fo time should the worse come to the worse.

What strikes me is when riders in the tour get dropped at the the beginning of a mountain stage..thats when 'it' - character & experience really comes out.

Their aint nowt worse than watching a group of riders ride away from you on a chain-gang ESPECIALLY on the flat....i recall the 1 time when steve cummings was on the one i ride mostly i was having a bad ride BUT having got invloved too early and then some big drags, and on a long slow drag well into the ride the speed was too much..its amazing how much i regret that, not killing myself to stay with them but I dont feel Mr Cummings had started his day at 8am done a days work THEN the chainy!

Im not one to use and excuse lightly.

walker

Pro's trundle along at around 30-35mph. A lowly amatuer would race at 25mph alone. I think Lance would travel up hill at 20mph up Alp D'Huez

asterix

Comrade Member
walker said:
Pro's trundle along at around 30-35mph. A lowly amatuer would race at 25mph alone. I think Lance would travel up hill at 20mph up Alp D'Huez

Is that likely?

I was labouring up the Col du Tourmalet and was passed by a number of obvious pros (had support cars waiting at the top, etc). They sailed past all right but they weren't 18mph quicker, I swear.

walker

asterix said:
Is that likely?

I was labouring up the Col du Tourmalet and was passed by a number of obvious pros (had support cars waiting at the top, etc). They sailed past all right but they weren't 18mph quicker, I swear.

I very much doubt you was only doing 2mph, you can walk up hill at 3.5mph.

Dave5N

Über Member
No.

The Madison at the World champs ran out at about 56KpH - around 35 mile an hour.

200 laps of a 250m track, in turns.

I guess a few people here could get up to 35mph on the boards... Not many though.

I doubt any (sorry Walker) could sustain that effort 50 times.

walker

Dave5N said:
No.

The Madison at the World champs ran out at about 56KpH - around 35 mile an hour.

200 laps of a 250m track, in turns.

I guess a few people here could get up to 35mph on the boards... Not many though.

I doubt any (sorry Walker) could sustain that effort 50 times.

no need to appologise, your absolutley right :sad:

curve

I get tired just watching them. :grin:

02GF74

Über Member
depends on terrain but approacing 30 mph on the flat.

once you have a speedo then you realsie how bloody fast it is - I struggle even sprinting on the flat up to that speed and need a pretty big hill to get over 35 mph!!

now marathon runners - the top men do it in 2 hours so that is about 13 mph - that is pretty impressive too - especailly when compared to the speed I go at off road on the flat, ok, chunky tyres aren't helping

Top Bottom