How fast can you accelerate from standing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
nosherduke996 said:
Blimey that IS fast :biggrin:

Aye, I'm going so quickly that it looks like I'm not actually moving at all!!
There, I just cycled round the world there ...oh and again ...and again!!:blush:

My forwards view does look amazingly odd going at that speed incidentally.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Variable.

Potentially very slowly if using SPD-SLs, more consistent acceleration achieved when using SPDs since I rarely fail to clip in (and I can still give the pedal some stick If I don't)

Better with gears than fixed. Obviously depends on freshness of legs too.

On a tuesday evening, riding a geared bike, with SPDs I can get going pretty well.

Will1985

Über Member
Never looked down at the Garmin or zoomed in on the files to check, but from a trackstand at lights I'm capable of 1400W and hitting 30mph fairly quickly...enough to distance myself from following cars. Can't do that too often though!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Muddyfox said:
0 to 100mph in 5.9 seconds ....... (on the R1)

Yamaha? Loverly bikes Yammy R1. I drool stupidly over those and Kawasaki Ninjas for some reason. ;) I dont even drive. :biggrin:

My own acceleration on the pushbike is pretty naff. Once I'm in momentum I'm ok.. prolly about 20-25mph average on the flat, about 10-15mph uphill through Netley or on the Itchen bridge been known to do 20 a few times.

Would love to increase my standing start.

GrasB

Veteran
I've never gone totally flat out from stationary but I'm quick enough to leave most standing. Exactly how depends to what speed & on what bike. The fixed is slow up to about 5mph but from there I'm very quick, I'll leave all but the fastest accelerating riders. On the geared bikes I'm faster to 5-10mph than on fixed but from there I'll be slower (heaver bike & more rotational mass further out from the BB/hubs to accelerate)

palinurus said:
Potentially very slowly if using SPD-SLs, more consistent acceleration achieved when using SPDs since I rarely fail to clip in (and I can still give the pedal some stick If I don't)
With Look KEO clips as long as I know one foot isn't clipped in it's not a problem. Often I'm up at 20-25mph before I think about clipping the lose foot in. Both feet clipped in is best though.

Top Bottom