1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How fast can you fix a p**nct**e?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by swee'pea99, 3 Jun 2008.

1. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

Got my second in a week y'day...getting very experienced at them. Timed this morning's at 7 minutes, start to finish, from pumping up to locate the hole to screwing on the valve cap. And that's with rubber solution & old-style patches. With one o' they self-adhesive jobbies I reckon I could beat 5 minutes now. Anyone beat that?

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Just change the innertube and you'll knock five minutes off that.

3. monnet

monnet Über Member

That's the way I do it.

4. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

Fast. I can get the wheel off quick. Get the tyre off with one tyre lever so that saves time. Then its just a case of getting the old tube out and putting a new one in. The old tube gets stuffed back into the saddle bag and its just a case of pumping it up, putting it back in and going.
    No need to mess about with patches.

5. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

I have so little practice, I usually have difficulty remembering where to start, maybe I should go back to cr*p tyres...

6. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

if it isn't worth 5 minutes of your time to fix a £4 tube are you all on £50/hr?xx(

7. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Good God no!

What do you take us for?

Tradesmen?

:smile::sad:xx(

8. I replace the tube at the roadside, then fix the punctured one later in the comfort of my living room.

9. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Exactly!

10. :tongue:

11. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

not me. mrs. hgf wouldn't allow it, and i think that the pressure helps the glue seal the patch properly

12. Alan Frame

Alan Frame Gnu

Talk about tempting fate ! :smile:

13. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Yes but the deal is: how do you fix the puncture - with the tube slightly inflated or totally de-flated ???????????????

Though I know I did one once pretty quick as it was round the corner from the chaingang - prior to me getting there... !

14. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Deflated - ish - let the glue go off then apply the patch...in the comfort of the garage - can't be bothered these days doing it on the road... flat, tube out, check tyre, new tube in, pump up and off.... fix the tube if needed when I get back home - usually carry two tubes and a kit anyway.........

Three repairs and it's in the bin.........

15. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

thirty three, maybe:biggrin:

i find that patches don't cope so well when half straddling earlier patches - so then it's the bin, but if there's room for one more patch, it's still a goer as far as i'm concerned.