How fast can you fix a p**nct**e?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hubgearfreak said:
thirty three, maybe:biggrin:

i find that patches don't cope so well when half straddling earlier patches - so then it's the bin, but if there's room for one more patch, it's still a goer as far as i'm concerned.

Just turn to tube round:biggrin:

yenrod

hubgearfreak said:
'but if there's room for one more patch, it's still a goer as far as i'm concerned.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

So its a toss up between Fossyants 3 patches then binned OR Hubs; if there's space: what a dilemma ! :biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
hubgearfreak said:
if it isn't worth 5 minutes of your time to fix a £4 tube are you all on £50/hr?:ohmy:

£4 for a tube!!! xx( Rip off.
I get Specialized ones for £1. So throwing the tube away or using it to protect my frame isnt too bad.
But so far, i havent had a puncture that i could repair on the tube. Only when i have ripped the valves away when taking the pump away:sad:

DieselDemon

hubgearfreak said:
if it isn't worth 5 minutes of your time to fix a £4 tube are you all on £50/hr?:wacko:

I get the £2.00 tubes at ASDA.:tongue:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
How fast to replace a tube? I'll admit, I'm dreadfully slow. Takes me 15-20 minutes, longer if in the dark. And I don't mind. With tyre repairs, I'm reminded of the old adage, "Haste makes waste." I take my good old time, searching for the tiny piece of glass that caused the problem. Sometimes I find it right away, sometimes it takes a little longer. Also, it takes a little longer if you have to center a tyre liner. I inflate a tube just a little, then carefully check all the way around both sides to see that I don't have the tube pinched anywhere. I pump it up a little more and make sure the bead is properly centered.

Too many times, I've seen people change a tire quickly, and then ruin the new tube before they even finish pumping up the tyre.

I'm also of the mind of "carry a spare tube AND a patch kit." You can always repair the punctured tube at your leisure at home. It's been a long time (I know, I just jinxed myself) since I've had a second puncture on the same trip, and had to patch a tube on the road, but I'm prepared, should the occasion arise.

Top Bottom