How Fast To Join A Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've not joined one, partly because I rarely ride out on Sunday mornings (church) and almost every club near me has their runs on a Sunday. There's an informal one on Saturday morning, but they do a short, slow ride.

Effyb4

Veteran
My husband has joined our local (7 miles away) club. He commutes to work every day and is quite happy riding over 50 miles. I have only been cycling this year and only average about 10 miles an hour. I joined one of the beginner rides, but found that I was just too slow compared to the rest (they were doing about 14 to 15 miles an hour). Somebody stayed with me and they all waited for me, but I just felt like I was holding them up. I would ask what the average speed is and how far they go, especially if you have to do another 16 miles on top.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
How Silly of me, They meet closer than I thought only 3.5 miles away, This is ok, Could consider it a warm up!

I dont think there is any true cycle clubs around here, I hate new stuff like this, like "Hi, please may you be my friends, can I ride with you"

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Sorry, I think I’ve made them sound bad, here is the actual response.
“the Sunday bikes can range from an easy session to an audax or rt ride.

We tend to advertise the ride it will be on Thursday evenings but most are easy 15kph out and back hilly rides so you should be fine, there is also nothing to stop you riding and turning round earlier until your endurance increases.

Hope this helps”

Sandra6

Veteran
Hi Peter - my family live in Rochdale just thought I'd say.
I find the club's response quite rude and not at all welcoming - which is my experience of cycling clubs locally too. I emailed one a while ago and they never did reply, by chance I met a member elsewhere and she added me to the mailing list but I still haven't felt I want to go and ride with them tbh.
Do you maybe have a friend you could persuade to go along?
Most of the clubs here that advertise their rides go around 50miles and state an average speed of 16mph.
You could always use the wonder that is facebook to rustle up some like minded cyclists to join you for an unofficial ride.

screenman

Legendary Member
This is Peter's line that some of you may need to take notice of
Is this how it works I have no idea, It a Triathlon Club.

By the nature of triathlon they will be a sporting club only, whilst cycling as we know has many different way to enjoy pedaling.

Please do not forget that most cycling club are run by amateurs for amateurs and may not respond as quickly or the way you may like, does not mean all the members are the same. As for membership fee's guys I am yet to find a cycling club that is in it for the money, our club is £12 a year or 23p per week, the local shops give at least 10% discount to members of the club as well as many other benefits.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sorry, I think I’ve made them sound bad, here is the actual response.
“the Sunday bikes can range from an easy session to an audax or rt ride.

We tend to advertise the ride it will be on Thursday evenings but most are easy 15kph out and back hilly rides so you should be fine, there is also nothing to stop you riding and turning round earlier until your endurance increases.

Hope this helps”

OK thats a bit more like it, I would have agreed that given on the comments on your first post that their response seemed quite rude but seeing it in its full version I think that is much better. I would go along to one of their easier rides and see how you get on.

LabRatt

Just a thought - if you have a local bike shop you could pop in there, they'll probably have a finger on the pulse of what's going on in the area. I was feeling a bit stuck for social riding in my area - the obvious choices being clubs like Dulwich Paragon who are far too sports focussed - but the guy in the LBS listed off several groups/clubs I'd never heard of as suitable options, including the one he helps run.
Being in London that's no direct help to you but it's another start. You should build a relationship with your LBS anyway.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Muahhh,

Im confused ill pop down if the weather is ok and have a chat with one of them, I dont have to go with them if things dont seem great an toddle off home.

Edwards80

Über Member
Definitely go along and try the easier ride. I joined a club after about 5 months of riding. They had an intro ride which was at a steady 15mph and we waited for people struggling with the pace. Even if you are fit it's worth doing an easy ride to get used to group riding too.

Did 2 of those then joined the full club runs. . . they are a little more lively! :sweat:

compo

Veteran
I joined a club but hardly take part in the rides now. They do two rides. A longer faster ride and a shorter slower ride. The longer faster ride is fine for distance but I would have no chance keeping up with them. The shorter ride is just too short, and they always stop at a pub for a while before turning for home. Total distances on this ride tends to be between 10 and 20 miles. Their rides are also on a Saturday afternoon which doesn't help. I would like a club run of 30+ miles at a steady 12-13 mph but there is no club in the area that meets my needs. (I do not want to join the CTC).

screenman

Legendary Member
Compo, why not start your own club ride, it is what we often do.

My club is competitive well what I should say is that 20 of the 150 members are, that should give you an insight into the makeup of most cycling clubs.

Nosaj

Peter - pop along and have a go, you will not really able to tell the real club over an email conversation go a couple of times and just suck it and see. Also if it is a bit pacy think of it as a challenge and try and hang on a bit further each time. Any club on a social ride should wait for you if you are a little behind (unless it is a full on hard training ride 22-24+avge ) and those that don't are not worth a revisit. As an aside we have a losse affiliiation with a tri club and those coming from a running background are normally pretty fit and can give the cyclists only a good run for their money.

Compo where abouts in essex are you and what club are you currently a member of, we have plethora of bike clubs in Essex some CTC type clubs and , some race biased clubs, most of the clubs seem to cater for a wide variety of riders

Top Bottom