How Fast To Join A Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KateK

I'd like to join a club too.. it's what I'm working towards but this b*****y weather is driving me screwy. it's worse than the winter. It's only ever dry when I have to be home looking after the family.

compo

Veteran
Compo where abouts in essex are you and what club are you currently a member of, we have plethora of bike clubs in Essex some CTC type clubs and , some race biased clubs, most of the clubs seem to cater for a wide variety of riders

As my post was a little critical of the club I am reluctant to name them on an open forum, especially as the problem is me rather than the club.

lukesdad

Most clubs have a website these days and you can get a fair idea of the suitability from there. One tip try to speak to the membership secretary if you can,IME the best and friendliest source of info.

Thank you all for your input. I do run yes, but only have been for 6 month so I’m not fast, If weather permits I will pop down and see what its like, the club is 8 mile or so from home so ill be riding there and back. So whatever they do plus 16 mile. I’ve just realised that probably too much. I need to look for a closer club, Possibly a more helpful one too.
My first club I used to cycle 5miles uphill and that was too short, when I moved I used to cycle 19 miles each way (at a rolling rather than a fast pace) it was a good warm up.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Thank you for all your replies,

I didn’t go this Sunday because after going to the bike shop realised my bike is old and heavy steel framed, the wheels are wobbly, the guy at the shop straightened them as much as he could for me. So I thought my bikes not good enough, and I would probably be embarrassed to ride with them on it.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/197339923

So instead I went for my own 15mile cycle so I could see what my pace is like and to show you lot, let me know what you think about my first proper ride and if you think my pace is ok to try and join a club yet?

MrB1obby

I did have a look to be nosey :shy:

But as I'm quite new to cycling myself I don't know whether it's a good pace to join a club. However, considering it's your first proper ride, it seems like a decent time to me :thumbsup:

zizou

Veteran

I didn’t go this Sunday because after going to the bike shop realised my bike is old and heavy steel framed, the wheels are wobbly, the guy at the shop straightened them as much as he could for me. So I thought my bikes not good enough, and I would probably be embarrassed to ride with them on it.

So instead I went for my own 15mile cycle so I could see what my pace is like and to show you lot, let me know what you think about my first proper ride and if you think my pace is ok to try and join a club yet?

Dont be embarrassed, road cycling has a bit of a reputation for being snobby with equipment / clothing etc but in my experience it doesn't really happen. If there is snobbishness then it usually directed towards riders with bling and exotic bikes who dont have the legs to do their bikes justice.

Averaging 14mph solo is decent for a beginner, you'll have no problem keeping up in a group ride that averages 15

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Thank you, I would also like to add that the day before I did a 11 mile run, same hilly area!!!

That's a tad slow for the clubs I've been in but much faster than some of the groups I've cycled with; the ERC quoted somewhere you should comfortably average 15mph, you'll improve though, don't worry. Dont worry about the elitist members of a club either, its your motor that counts; when I joined the ERC, I got some comments (but not as much as I was expecting) that I was on a MTB/hybrid, in fact I was on a flat bar road bike (Spesh sirrus) and was more than able to keep up and leave those commenting behind, the comments quickly became respect. When I joined my current club the DCC I was blown away by a bloke on a heavy mud guarded, wide tyred tourer, kudos.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Ok, chear, I wont worry, Ill join in a month or so when im faster, and when Ive bought some new wheels and tires. The Rusty wheel/cracked tire looks not cool.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I like being on my todd, but theres times I would like to be with others, Like with my running, most of the time im on my own, every week or 2 I go to a running club, Sometimes I dont even speak to anyone, just enjoy being in a group for a change.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Hi Peter

That's a decent time for this area

I'm not far off you in High Crompton/Shaw

My average on my 10 mile training route is 13mph and last night I really pushed myself and managed 14mph, which nearly killed me, so raising to 15mph for a club ride would see me off

Which club did you contact

Here's my ride from last night

http://my.digifit.com/site/workoutdetail?wid=17001

Top Bottom