How Fast To Join A Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Hey Peter

I'm riding down to Manchester on Sunday 15th July from Tandle Hills in Royton to the Sky Ride event in Manchester

Its and organised Sky Ride social run, meeting at 09.15pm with 7 of us up to now and riding down to Manchester City to join up with the Sky Ride around Manchester City Centre

Details....

Tandle Hills to Manchester
http://www.goskyride.com/Search/Details?eventid=6948

Manchester Sky Ride
http://www.goskyride.com/ManchesterSkyRide

You'll need to register for both events

The Tandle Hills run Is not a race (I hope not anyway) but would give you a chance for run out with a group

Its the first time I have done this and for me it was a chance to have a run out with like minded people and just enjoy the ride,banter and maybe pick up a few tips

I'm hoping it will also give me the confidence to join a club

:smile:
Thankx for that, ill have a look

Braeiach

Regular
I was 16 when I went on my first club runs on a suitable, but basic bike which I'd bought from Halfords. I wore tracksuit bottoms and trainers.

I was fortunate as the older and slower members looked after me and made sure I got home safe. I'd picked up the nickname Sixty-Mile-Sam because I would hit the wall after 60 miles, but eventually I was managing to finish the rides without holding anyone up. , The best piece of advice I would give if you want to find a club is to go ride with them. It can be tough, but persevere and you will thoroughly enjoy it. Pick a club which will be patient with beginners, and follow their advice while you 'learn the ropes'.

By the way - those tri-bars you linked which are shown as fitted under the bars and also be fitted above if necessary. I have a set and they're very good for the money. I would echo previous sentiment though - don't use them in groups - you need your hands near your brakes. Even though they're not branded so, I believe they're made by Raleigh (http://raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Default.aspx?pc=2&pt=97&pr=101). They're have fantastic adjustability, but unfortunately (if I remember right) that makes them a little awkward to remove and then put back on quickly while making sure set-up is identical.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Hey Peter I'm from Bury, quite close to you. What club have you been looking at?

Erm, why how many are there? are you a member of one?

looking at rochdale triathalon club & another i forgot, I think theres a link on the first page of this thread, id look but im on a doggy laptop.

aJohnson

Erm, why how many are there? are you a member of one?

looking at rochdale triathalon club & another i forgot, I think theres a link on the first page of this thread, id look but im on a doggy laptop.

I was a member of Lancs Road Club. The rides are mainly in Bolton however they do have some elsewhere. They also have what are called'Old Lags Rides' which are a slow pace and not too much distance, I think the meeting for that is around 5-6miles from Bury.

http://www.lancsroadclub.org.uk/Rides.aspx

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
This Club seems a nice enough one, tells you that you should be able to do a 30 mile run before trying to join, no metion of speed tho, Ill do a 30 mile ride this weekend and see my ace, then im thinking of contacting them.

http://www.cyclingburylancs.com/

Nosaj

A CTC (cyclists touring club) club is very diferrent to a racing club. I am not saying worse or better just very different, they have a totally different set of goals. I am still a member of CTC and still go along to the member rides every now and then as I have made some good friends there. I also have a soft spot for them as it was the group I rode with for quite a while, when I first started cycling.

I offer only my humble opinion based on my member group.
Good points:
Normally very friendly, no one gets dropped, if you have a mechanical you will get help, you can stay out all day and stop at elevenses, lunch and afternoon tea , rides are very steady and very social and very touring oriented, you will eat loads and loads and loads

Bad points:
The rides are all day so you stop at elevenses, lunch and afternoon tea. You will eat loads and loads and loads. They base their rides on an all day ride and speeds are tailored. They are touring focused not racing focused. If you want to stretch your legs, learn through and off, work as a peleton, attack the terrain - forget it - if you have ever observed a football match played by 5 year olds you have a good visual metaphor for what our CTC group looks like on the road.

I am still a member of my local CTC group but I joined a race club because I got frustrated at how much they ate, how long they stopped for and how steady the rides were, my goals were different to theirs if you share any racing goals while a CTC club is a very good place to start you can end up getting a bit frustrated at the pace.
If I go out with CTC and stay out all day I leave home at 8.50 am and get back around 4.30pm and cover 60-65 miles. I can go out with my race club leaving home at 9.00am and get back indoors around 1.30pm having covered a similar distance.

Our member group also has two rides one a shorter slower ride at 12.50mph average and the other a quicker longer route but average at best is around 14mph.

You will have to join CTC I think memberships costs £39 or thereabouts for a single member. You do get added benefits 10M Liabs Insurance, Legal assistance, the magazine and a wiggle discount. But going along to the member group rides will be free as they are now financed at headquarters.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
A CTC (cyclists touring club) club is very diferrent to a racing club. I am not saying worse or better just very different, they have a totally different set of goals. I am still a member of CTC and still go along to the member rides every now and then as I have made some good friends there. I also have a soft spot for them as it was the group I rode with for quite a while, when I first started cycling.

I offer only my humble opinion based on my member group.
Good points:
Normally very friendly, no one gets dropped, if you have a mechanical you will get help, you can stay out all day and stop at elevenses, lunch and afternoon tea , rides are very steady and very social and very touring oriented, you will eat loads and loads and loads

Bad points:
The rides are all day so you stop at elevenses, lunch and afternoon tea. You will eat loads and loads and loads. They base their rides on an all day ride and speeds are tailored. They are touring focused not racing focused. If you want to stretch your legs, learn through and off, work as a peleton, attack the terrain - forget it - if you have ever observed a football match played by 5 year olds you have a good visual metaphor for what our CTC group looks like on the road.

I am still a member of my local CTC group but I joined a race club because I got frustrated at how much they ate, how long they stopped for and how steady the rides were, my goals were different to theirs if you share any racing goals while a CTC club is a very good place to start you can end up getting a bit frustrated at the pace.
If I go out with CTC and stay out all day I leave home at 8.50 am and get back around 4.30pm and cover 60-65 miles. I can go out with my race club leaving home at 9.00am and get back indoors around 1.30pm having covered a similar distance.

Our member group also has two rides one a shorter slower ride at 12.50mph average and the other a quicker longer route but average at best is around 14mph.

You will have to join CTC I think memberships costs £39 or thereabouts for a single member. You do get added benefits 10M Liabs Insurance, Legal assistance, the magazine and a wiggle discount. But going along to the member group rides will be free as they are now financed at headquarters.

Thank you for that, as I realy dont want to stop and have tea, I dont want to sound anti
social, like you say, I dont want to be out all day, I wanna be out, hit it as hard and as fast as I can for alsong as I can.

CTC Vs racing club points noted, I think I need to go to a racing club, but only when I ready.

Top Bottom