How good do my shorts need to be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
I'd highly recommend Altura pro gel shorts.

Wore the male version on my 16 day JOGLE (1,134 miles) last year and wear them all the time for normal day rides.
Very good padding that lasts, still going strong after 18 months and 4,000+ miles and you can wear whatever you want over them.

You only need 1 pair. Take a tube of travel wash, wash every evening, roll up in a towel and wring tightly, hang up and they'll be dry in the morning.

I have the men's version of these and really rate them. They are streets ahead of my other shorts (Tenns).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
As others have commented: bib shorts, and you will need no more than two pairs. One is possible if you do the towel trick mentioned by Barbelier.

The towel-trick is great, used it last week on business when my case failed to follow-me accross Europe, washed shirt, grundies and socks in the shower, rung-out the worst, then the towel trick and an early morning ironing session saw me looking pretty buff!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Decathlon shorts\trousers are numbered by suitability...

Shorts\tights 3 are good for short hops, commuting, whatever.
Shorts\tights 5 are for longer trips
Shorts\tights 7 are for even longer trips.

You can quite plainly feel this in the padding (and see it in the price label!).

Best pairs of shorts i have ever owned pound for pound.

The 3`s are ok up to 40 miles or so

The 5`s i did a sportive in and they were comfortable all day.

OP
OP
Wednesday

Wednesday

Cool, I feel much more informed :smile:. I didn't want to count on washing as I went along because it's camping accommodation (plus I'm expecting to go pretty slow), but I suppose a couple of good pairs and a backup should do it. Maybe I can make a washing line between my seat and rack to dry them as I ride :biggrin:.

cyberknight

I do remember reading somewhere about having a bag or part of a bag with a mesh so your clothes could dry as your rode along , cant remember where and my google fu cant help me atm

cyberknight

Found this ..
8. Washing clothes and personal hygiene.

Top of page. We often go on cycle tours of 4 week duration, so we understand the problems of washing clothes and personal hygiene. For most of the time we use campsites with facilities and therefore things aren't too difficult to cope with. We usually carry 2 pairs of cycling shorts and tops, which we usually make stretch for 2 days or so. If the weather has been hot and we have sweated a lot, then after our shower on arrival at the campsite we would wash them out in a sink and hang them up to dry in the late evening sun and then hang on a line in the inner tent over night. We use 'Coolmax' tops as these dry out quite quickly, and are usually dry by the morning, if they haven't dried over night we put them over our rear panniers under the straps and they dry as we cycle along. We do wear underwear with our cycling shorts and change them on a daily basis. Then after 4 or 5 days we look for a campsite with laundry facilities that includes a dryer and give everything a good wash.

If you are wild camping and you are organised you can still wash clothes and yourselves without too much bother. We carry a folding water bucket made by Ortlieb and a small 9"square off an old travel towel which we use as a flannel. You only need to heat up a small amount of water enough to add to the bucket of water to take the chill off it, we then have what my mum calls 'an up and a downer' strip wash with the flannel (we have a fairly large vestibule awning to our tent which makes this easier). This is enough to freshen us up and wash away any sweat from the days cycling. We also use the bucket to wash out the cycling tops if necessary. If we do wild camp it is generally only for about 2 nights on the trot and then we find a campsite for a good shower.

There are shower attachments made by manufacturers that fit to their water carriers. I personally haven't fancied this as it does require you to heat up a lot of water, find a suitable tree to hang it on, a secluded spot to bear all (although you could wear a swimming costume) and cope with possible mosquito attack and cold winds, which if you wet your whole body and with any sort of wind chill factor, could make you very cold indeed!

As far as towels are concerned we take a pack towel, ordinary towels although effective at drying, are too heavy to carry and take too long to dry out. We have tried various makes and types and the best we have found so far are the Lifeventure softfibre trek towels. They feel nice, dry you well, dry reasonably quickly and don't go rank as quickly as some of the others do. When we shower we try and shake of as much water as possible before using the towel. If there are hot air dryers in the wash areas, we use them to dry our hair. The towels are hung up in the tent over night to dry, when we use them again in the morning, we thread them through the straps on our rear panniers to dry as we cycle along and put them away once they are dry.

OP
OP
Wednesday

Wednesday

It's the sticky touring tips thread, and I'll have my mesh bag with me in case the washing line isn't practical :smile:.

Top Bottom