How good do my shorts need to be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wednesday

I'm going to ride 480 miles in six days next May. Ages away, but I'm already worrying about shorts since it could get pretty expensive buying six pairs. I'm only 60kg/9st so not putting a whole lot of pressure on my bum (no trouble doing 14 miles without padding), but I don't think my Sports Direct/Halfords bargains are going to cut it. What do I need to look for? How much should I expect to spend? Are there any good deals I should check out?

If you have any specific recommendations that'd be nice. I'm female, short, with a high hip:waist ratio.

Oh, and how long do you expect shorts to stay good for?

Also, keeping my legs warm on cooler days. I was thinking padded undershorts and unpadded shorts and tights to go over, but unpadded lycra is hard to find. Does wearing leg warmers all day get annoying? What about normal leggings over shorts?

vickster

Legendary Member
Tenn Direct are popular as a reasonably low cost but decent quality provider. Otherwise DHB from Wiggle

Look at running gear for unpadded lycra - I think Altura might do some unpadded tights

pepecat

Go for bib shorts - you don't get a waist band cutting in to you all day long. WAY more comfortable than normal shorts. Halfords own brand are not that great at all. I have some Altura padded shorts, and while the padding is ok, after about a year of not that regular wear and wash, the elastic in the lycra is starting to go and bit loose.
The bib shorts I have are mens ones - made by Nalini - and they're fab. I think they usually cost about £40 new, but I got mine from the classifieds here for way less than that. I'm not that big up top, so i find men's bibs fine - you might well too, and buying men's bibs gives you more choice. I'm only 5ft 7 and 9 1/2 stone, so not exactly tall or big, and the mens' ones fit fine (can't remember if it's small or medium i have though.......:tongue:).

Where are you cycling next May? You may not need long tights depending on where you're going and time of day you're starting off. Once you get warmed up shorts might well be ok for you.

Have a look on wiggle- DHB (as vickster said) is a good make, though I don't own any shorts of theirs. Also keep an eye on the classifieds on here - you might get some shorts that way!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Pearl Izumi or Polaris. I spend a lot of time studying Susie's shorts, and these look to be the best. Bear in mind that, like Beau Brummel, she discards any item of clothing that isn't entirely satisfactory (her sister and mother now have wardrobes full of Max Mara coats, but that's a different story) so anything she wears time and time again has to be good. Her hip to waist ratio is perfect, but, then again, I'm biased.

Pearl Izumi shorts are not cheap, but I've got two pairs that are six years old, and they've done an awful lot of miles, and I'm tough on clothes. Polaris are not wildly expensive. I wore my DHB shorts twice, and now they're relegated to 'oh, shoot, everything's in the wash' days, because they stretch in use.

It is possible to wash and dry shorts overnight - I've simply stepped out of one pair at the end of the day's cycling, washed them in the shower, squeezed most of the water out, hung them up to dry and, they'd be ready by morning. Taking two pairs should see you right.

OP
OP
Wednesday

Wednesday

Tenn Direct are popular as a reasonably low cost but decent quality provider. Otherwise DHB from Wiggle

Look at running gear for unpadded lycra - I think Altura might do some unpadded tights
I think my best bet with Wiggle is to pick stuff up on sale (at least I have plenty of time for that). Tenn prices look good if they'll do the job, though.

Is there a benefit to having exercise-specific clothing if it doesn't have the seams placed for cycling? If I just get bamboo leggings I can also use them for other stuff.

Go for bib shorts - you don't get a waist band cutting in to you all day long. WAY more comfortable than normal shorts. Halfords own brand are not that great at all. I have some Altura padded shorts, and while the padding is ok, after about a year of not that regular wear and wash, the elastic in the lycra is starting to go and bit loose.
The bib shorts I have are mens ones - made by Nalini - and they're fab. I think they usually cost about £40 new, but I got mine from the classifieds here for way less than that. I'm not that big up top, so i find men's bibs fine - you might well too, and buying men's bibs gives you more choice. I'm only 5ft 7 and 9 1/2 stone, so not exactly tall or big, and the mens' ones fit fine (can't remember if it's small or medium i have though.......:tongue:).
Having a waistband cutting in might not be a problem what with having a small waist. Not having to rely on a waistband would probably help with the problem of men's stuff not fitting my bum and my waist at the same time, but being 5' might spoil that!

Where are you cycling next May? You may not need long tights depending on where you're going and time of day you're starting off. Once you get warmed up shorts might well be ok for you.
London to Edinburgh in the second week of May, so if I'm unlucky there could be snow!

vickster

Legendary Member
As a woman, the need for bio-breaks completely put me off bib shorts!

I have to say I like Pearl Izumi but at £40-50 for a pair of shorts/3/4 lengths they aren't cheap :smile:

Barbelier

I'd highly recommend Altura pro gel shorts.

Wore the male version on my 16 day JOGLE (1,134 miles) last year and wear them all the time for normal day rides.
Very good padding that lasts, still going strong after 18 months and 4,000+ miles and you can wear whatever you want over them.

You only need 1 pair. Take a tube of travel wash, wash every evening, roll up in a towel and wring tightly, hang up and they'll be dry in the morning.

Decathlon shorts\trousers are numbered by suitability...

Shorts\tights 3 are good for short hops, commuting, whatever.
Shorts\tights 5 are for longer trips
Shorts\tights 7 are for even longer trips.

You can quite plainly feel this in the padding (and see it in the price label!).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've found DHB shorts/Bibs to be durable and comfortable (but I ain't no lady), women I know find DHB shorts comfortable enough. Also heard good words for Polaris.
Corrine Dennis might be somewhere else to look for lady specific.
Get the best you can, 2 pairs should be enough if you use the dell wash-squeeze-hang technique.
In the summer you're not likely to need longs, (though I have used them to cover sunburnt thighs), Ron Hill tracksters/Bikesters are pretty useful in this regard, they can easily be worn over padded shorts and are OK for schlepping around the campsite etc in the evenings when it gets cooler. Again, washing 'em and drying is easy-peasy.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Corrine Dennis might be somewhere else to look for lady specific.
I'd foolishly forgotten Corinne Dennis. One thing you can count on with Corinne (she answers the phone herself!) is customer service. Shorts don't fit - send 'em back and she'll sort you out. And, if you're worried about the fit, or about the waistband, drop her a note.

I personally think that buying shorts that you've not tried on is a bit of a risk (a bit like buying shirts :wacko: , but with Corinne you know that you will get the best fit she can do
http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
As others have commented: bib shorts, and you will need no more than two pairs. One is possible if you do the towel trick mentioned by Barbelier.

Top Bottom