How hard is Ditchling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
So what are we learning here:-

Rimas - not human
Des - more stylish than Dell :ohmy:

I'd throw in Mikee as well if he was still around, him and Des together on fixed was always an impressive sight.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
ZimZum too.....

Hold on a sec... Mac.. have you conquered Ditchling... under your own steam like?
whistling.gif

MacB

ZimZum too.....

Hold on a sec... Mac.. have you conquered Ditchling... under your own steam like?
whistling.gif

more than once, I've only had one total fail and one where, just as I was cresting the top, some twat decided it would be fun to give me a push so that I couldn't have claimed to have succeeded.

Don't suppose you know anyone that would be twattish enough to do such a thing? :whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
more than once, I've only had one total fail and one where, just as I was cresting the top, some twat decided it would be fun to give me a push so that I couldn't have claimed to have succeeded.

Don't suppose you know anyone that would be twattish enough to do such a thing? :whistle:

I have no idea who you are talking about Al..
whistling.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Attachments

• laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 57

MacB

You did all right around Strines, MacB.

size and fitness thing, was heading the wrong way by the time I did the Sheffield ride, but still reasonably ride fit, and by the next Ditchling I couldn't make it up at all. It's kind of what happens when you put back on the 56lbs you've lost and then add an extra 7lbs for good measure :tongue: The top I wore on the Strines ride wouldn't physically fit on to me right now.

But lets not make this about me, let's abuse that complete tosspot 3BM, I find that much more fun :whistle:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It can't be that bad, I made it!
Piece of piss then :biggrin:

gbs

Guru
[White Downs is steeper, but do-able. Friday Street is just wrong - I've never made it up that sucker.
[/quote]

Dellers, do you mean Sheephouse Lane that runs S from Wotton? It merits << on the OS but RidewithGPS makes it look innocuous and MemoryMap suggest 50m ascent in 1km of ride.

As for DB: I think it deserves respect from us hackers. I first drove up and was horrified by its seeming endlessness. I have ridden it 4 times - never failed but have always been relieved/pleased to see the top. On the FNRttC last year there was a girl who simply sprinted up. She seemed surprised when I congratulated her at the top - who was she?

As for DD: no comparison, it is, IMO, only a drag with the steepest part in the town. There is nice park with cafe on LHS if you are weary.

CORRECTION; I now see that in the last km or so there is a 15% ramp (according to ridewith gps). I avoided that last month by taking the R fork towards Saddlescombe. Nontheless I still feel that BD is a significantly harder climb.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What we need is a new scale for hill comparisons, a bit like Burgernomics (how long people in different parts of the world neeed to work before they can afford a Big Mac).

I nominate the unit of this scale to be: The Ditchling.

Then we simply argue/disagree come to some random agreement on how other hills rate in comparison, twice as hard = 2 Ditchlings, half as hard, 0.5 Ditchlings and so on.
Ventoux has alredy been estimated at around 14 Ditchlings under standard conditions*).

So rate away!

I reckon White Horse hill/Dragon hill to be 0.9 Ditchlings, it's not quite as long but notably steeper for the first half, the second half is easier. Scenery wise it's close also to Ditchling and has an 'alpine climb' feel to it's second half.

*Whatever they are ....

OP
OP
Chris.IOW

Chris.IOW

What we need is a new scale for hill comparisons, a bit like Burgernomics (how long people in different parts of the world neeed to work before they can afford a Big Mac).

I nominate the unit of this scale to be: The Ditchling

:smile:

I like this idea, obviously until I conquer Ditchling in a couple of weeks time I have no frame of reference to start rating hills.

What would be the deciding factor though, steepness, length, overall experience.

I reckon we could start a whole new industry rating hills!

U

User482

Shame about Ditchling drivers, who are arguably the most po-faced miserabilists on the planet. Cheer the f**k up, FFS!

Ain't that the truth! On the plus side, standing at the top, taking in the view, and berating the face-looking-like-a-slapped-arse feckers is a very pleasant way to spend some time early on a aturday morning.

My advice to anyone who isn't confident in their climbing ability is to fit low ratio gears. Pootling up in a granny gear is much, much easier than walking.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...

I nominate the unit of this scale to be: The Ditchling.

Then we simply argue/disagree come to some random agreement on how other hills rate in comparison, twice as hard = 2 Ditchlings, half as hard, 0.5 Ditchlings and so on.
Ventoux has alredy been estimated at around 14 Ditchlings under standard conditions*).

So rate away!

I reckon White Horse hill/Dragon hill to be 0.9 Ditchlings, it's not quite as long but notably steeper for the first half, the second half is easier. Scenery wise it's close also to Ditchling and has an 'alpine climb' feel to it's second half.

*Whatever they are ....

Good work Fabbers :smile:

Meanest hill near me is Whichford Hill, which is quite spiteful. See if I can find out the details and give it 'The Ditch'

Top Bottom